Chapter 13: Just Friends

Comincia dall'inizio

"Please," Ron begged her, tugging on the sleeve of her jacket as they walked past Honeydukes where the owner, Mr.Flume, had waved at them. "I'll be quick, I promise!"

Amicia kept walking, despite Ron and the smell of fairy floss pulling her back. "We've got to get your paper finished, it's due tomorrow or have you forgotten?"

"As if you'd let me forget," he said glumly. "On the way back then?"

"That depends on how quickly we can get this paper done. If you're lucky, there might even be a liquorice wand in it for you." At this point, Amicia was willing to bribe him with an entire trolley of sweets if it meant him passing History of Magic. Ron had gotten a D grade last year and while staying at the Burrow during the summer, Amicia had to sit idly by while Molly Weasley scolded the daylights out of him, threatening him with a summer of de-gnoming if his grades didn't improve.

Ron's jaw fell a little, the mention of the seldom had treat already making his mouth water. "Don't tease me, that's not nice."

Amicia smiled. "I would never joke about such matters, Ron. You know me better than that."

As they approached the Three Broomsticks, a group of students exited the inn. Amicia quickly grabbed hold of Ron's arm and dragged him into the alleyway behind the corner of the building.

"What is it?" He dropped his voice, years of experience from sneaking about the castle with Harry kicking in.

"Damn it." She sighed and poked her head out to get a better look at the group, "Truly is like the plague..."

Ron stuck his head out and followed her gaze. Walking side by side in their direction, laughing and making cheerful banter, were Theodore Nott, Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, and of course, Draco Malfoy.

" One day ," Ron said to himself, "I can't get one bloody day."

The Slytherins were getting too close for comfort and Ron swiftly pulled Amicia back out of view, hiding her between him and the wall. His mind was whirling with possible excuses to explain their current state in the chance that they would be discovered. The idea of having to justify being with his best friend to Malfoy made his blood boil. He regretted not getting to Malfoy quicker on the pitch last week. Just one good punch to that smug face, was that too much to ask for?

The familiar voices drew nearer and Ron pressed himself against Amicia, shielding her body with his. He looked down to find her looking back up at him and he gave her a crooked smile as though to say it'll be alright. She'd been holding her breath and now let it out slowly, the warmth of it spreading across Ron's chest. He gulped, hard, trying to ignore the fluttering in his stomach.

"I think they're gone now," Amicia whispered after a moment. Ron didn't budge though, he continued to stare at her like a man bewitched. The yarn tassels hanging off his hat tickled her cheek and she swatted them away. "Ron?" She said a bit louder.

"Hm? Oh, sorry." He stepped back, mourning the sudden loss of warmth.

"No, I'm sorry." She looked past him to scan the street, just to be sure. "I didn't think they would be here."

"But now that they've left we should be fine, yeah?"

Amicia sadly shook her head. "I think it's best we don't go to the Three Broomsticks today," she said regrettably. "If they were there at this hour, other students may be, too."

Ron's shoulders slumped. He felt his luck dwindling by the minute.

Amicia noticed this and put on a cheerful expression in the hopes of uplifting his spirits. "Now don't get all gloomy on me! We can still get your paper done."