They led their horses from the gate on the pasture side of the pen, on the opposite side from the barn and the house, and Bobby closed and secured the gate. Hershey and Ace put their heads over the fence and brayed their objections. They wanted to come, too.

Than turned and said something to the two horses that Therese could not hear. She inwardly laughed. He liked talking to them as much as she did. Despite his inability to describe himself, she was learning a lot about him. He loved the outdoors, especially the water, and he loved animals. She looked forward to learning a few more things.

Therese approached Dumbo, and he nuzzled against her. She put her hand out for him to sniff. He caressed her hand with his mouth and then nuzzled her palm. She stroked his face, whispering, "Thanks. I needed that."

As soon as Therese mounted Dumbo, the nervous anxiety made her chest feel tight. Jen must have noticed, because she came up beside her and said, "Just follow me. You've got nothing to worry about."

Jen started at a walk, and without Therese having to say "Go," or squeeze Dumbo's sides, the horse followed. Therese relaxed. Maybe this would be easier than she had thought.

"You're doing good, boy," Therese said as she stroked Dumbo's neck. She watched Jen moving gracefully ahead of her on Sassy, as though she and her horse were one fluid organism. Jen made it look so easy.

Than came up beside her on Midnight. "You okay?"

"So far so good." She gave him a brave smile. She could do this.

Bobby and Mrs. Holt had already gone on ahead across the stream where it narrowed and up where the pasture began on an incline up the mountain. Jen now took Sassy up to a trot, and, without warning, Dumbo followed suit. Therese held on to the saddle horn and hugged Dumbo with her thighs. She managed not to shriek, but her heart was beating a million miles an hour as the adrenaline pumped through her. Than and Midnight were soon beside her again.

"This is fun, don't you think?" he asked.

Therese was bouncing hard on Dumbo, so she stiffened her legs against the stirrups and pulled her bottom up, practically in a standing position. "As long as Dumbo follows Sassy, I'm alright." She didn't admit it was like riding a scary rollercoaster.

Drops of rain began to fall and a sudden streak of light illuminated the clouds above them.

Great, Therese thought. Just what I need.

A moment later, the roar of thunder followed.

Jen and Sassy approached the stream, so Jen slowed down to a walk. Dumbo slowed, and Midnight beside him. They took turns jumping across the narrowest part and then joined Bobby and Mrs. Holt in the trees on the other side. They kept the horses at a walk as they followed the trail through the trees near the fence line. The trees offered some protection from the rain, but not much. Another streak of light shot across the sky, and the thunder followed. Therese wondered how the horses would react if the thunder got loud and if they were safer in the trees or if they should head back across the stream to the open part of the pasture, but she didn't say anything, sure Mrs. Holt would know best. She couldn't help but feel even more nervous, though.

They walked the horses through the trees, weaving up and down, occasionally having to jump across a low dip or fallen log. Therese focused on talking with Dumbo, to ease her nerves and to let Dumbo get to know her.

"You're doing great, Dumbo. You're such a good boy." Therese stroked his mane, which was now clean of all sticker burs and weeds thanks to her hard work this morning. "Wait." She said to him when Jen paused up ahead. "Wait." She gently pulled the reins and released, and Dumbo obeyed.