Ch.7

📍Caroline's House
12:00pm

We all woke up late today, around 11. We decided we were gonna go out. We plan to go shopping, eating, and maybe the beach. I wasn't up for any of it, but I couldn't let them know that.

We're all riding in the Twinkie and listening to music.

"Hey, you know where Rafe is?" I ask Sarah, over the loud music.

"Don't know, don't care." She yells back, continuing to dance to the music.

Sarah was never supportive of Rafe and I's relationship. I can't blame her, he wasn't good to her. But I always saw the good in him. Until recently, when I couldn't take his secrecy anymore. I just wish Sarah would at least act worried. But she truly doesn't care about his well being whatsoever.

We park outside of a mall and hop out. None of us have enough money to shop, other than Sarah. But we just come here to look, or steal.

We're walking into Earthbound when I remember my decision last night, and I'm not gonna figure out where Rafe is in an overpriced hippie store.

"Bathroom. I'll be right back." I say as I turn around and walk out.

I won't be back. I don't plan on it. But honestly, I think everyone is having too much fun in the mall to notice.

I walk out of the mall and hop into the Twinkie, they'll find a way back without it. I drive out of Figure 8 and into The Cut. I drive through a small wooded area before catching sight of the little house.

I hop out of my car and walk up. Before I can even make it to the door, I see him walk out.

"Hey." I wave.

"Wassup, doll?" Barry says, wiping his hands with a cloth as he walks toward me.

"I came to ask about Rafe."

"Country club? What about him?" He asks.

"Do you know where he is? He's been gone longer than he said he would be." I tell him.

"Nah. I'm just a dealer, doll." He shakes his head.

"Oh. Ok, thanks." I feel his eyes on me as I turn around and get back in the Twinkie.

I drive out of The Cut and back into Figure 8, I really thought I was gonna get an answer from Barry.

I go to the outdoor bar and hop out of The Twinkie. I walk up to Topper and Kelce. They're both holding shots in their hands and screaming at some game on tv.

"Guys." I call them.

"Look who it is?" Topper says, both of them spinning around in their barstools to look at me.

I sigh and roll my eyes, "Where's Rafe?" I bluntly ask.

"Awe, you miss your boyfriend?" Kelce laughs.

"That's cute." Tooper mocks me.

"Shut up, where is he?" I ask sternly.

"We haven't seen him." Kelce puts his hands up in surrender.

I look over and Topper, hoping for an answer. But he just smirks and shrugs. I roll my eyes and walk away.

At this point, I have no other option. I have to go to his house. I mean, his family doesn't exactly hate me, but I don't think they'll want to tell me where he is. What's the big secret anyway?

I drive the Twinkie all the way to Rafe's house and get out, not before fixing my hair a little. I've already met them, but I feel like I still have to make a good impression.

I walk up and ring the doorbell. The white haired woman opens the door.

"Caroline! Hi!" She says, surprised.

"Hi Rose, I just had a quick question.

"Yea, what is it?"

"Um, do you know where Rafe is? I'm just sort of worried, he's been gone for a while." I look down at my hands.

"Oh." Her tone slightly changes. She clears her throat, "He uh- he has a class that he's taking. It's out of town." She spits out.

A class? It's summer and Rafe doesn't go to school anyway. Why is she lying?

"Oh." I say. I start pushing past her, into the house. I was going to figure out where he was. She moves back and eyes me as I walk to the couch. She closes the door behind her and sits on the couch opposite of me.

"Honey! Caroline's here!" She yells to Ward, to help her out of the situation I assume.

He jogs down the stairs and greets me.

"Oh, hey Caroline!" He sits down.

"Um, she wants to know where Rafe is." Rose informs him, giving him a look.

"Rafe? Oh. Yea, he's um." He fumbles with his words. "He's in North Carolina. Yea, he's representing me at a business meeting. Serious work." He says. He has a cocky smile on his face, as if he were proud of the lie he just came up with. But it quickly drops when he sees the look on Rose's face.

"Um, yea!" Rose agrees. "And he's also taking a class there. Right honey?" She gives Ward a look.

"Class?" He asks. Rose elbows him. "Yea. Um, yea!" He starts to understand. "He's taking a class there as well. Smart kid." He clears his throat.

For them to be such a secretive family, their lying needs some work. I don't know where Rafe is, but it's obvious no one wants to tell me. I stand up from the couch.

"Ok. Well thanks guys, I was just worried." I fake a smile and wipe off my pants, making my way toward the door.

I don't know why I was imagining this horror movie scenario where Rose grabs me and stops me from making it out. Consequently, stopping me from letting out a secret I don't even know.

But I walk out and they wave me off, no grabbing involved.