Chapter 9

The Calm Before the Storm

When they left, Leilani drove her best friend & Lexi home. She knew that an uber or bike ride during this time of night would be extremely dangerous. Then she made her way to Fez's house. Ready to collapse in his arms to get a good night's sleep.

Knock. Knock. knock.

"Fez? It's me." Footsteps approached the door; Lei could always tell who was approaching by the sounds of their steps. It was Ash. He opened the door, allowing the dim kitchen light to illuminate her.

"Wussgood Leilani," The boy put his hand out to dap her up, which always made her laugh a little but also internally sad. He was so young, picking up on Fez's lingo and lifestyle. The aave wasn't the or even a problem to her but it was the fact that he had to act so 'hard' & 'tough' as a 12-year-old boy.

"Hey Ash," She let out an awkward smile. Lei never forgot that Ashtray heard her and Fez getting busy the night before, so she felt a slight tension. Ash didn't feel any tension on his part. He was simply grumpy that morning out of tiredness. After the day had passed, he'd returned back to a homeostatic state of mind.

"Me & Fez are watching a movie onna couch, if you tryna watch it wit us." He stepped back from the door to allow Leilani to enter.

"Sure."

Not only was Lei tense with Ash, but she was even more tense with Fez. Understandably so. He greeted her with metaphorically open arms & she laid with her head on his lap. She had curly hair, so Fezco didn't play with her hair. He knew Leilani hated when people touched her hair, especially on a good hair day. The oils from his & anyone else's fingers would only frizz her hair up. So, he simply left his arm laying on the back of the couch and his other arm sort of up in the air as he held a blunt.

"Aye," Fez whispered, "We gotta talk. Fr." Lei was dreading the talk. There were so many things up in the air. Did their friendship change after the sex? What to do with Alex? What if Fez got raided next? What if he didn't stop there? Should they talk about those "since my 14th birthday" comments? Why was Alex stalking her? She looked away from the movie & up at him & the smoke leaving his mouth.

"Uh," A shaky breath, "Yeah, we do." She sat up & allowed him to stand before following him out of the room. As they passed in front of the TV, Leilani turned to Ashtray & gave him a quick, "We'll be right back," before fully exiting the room.

The walk to Fezco's room was daunting. The hallways seemed endless, as if she could walk forever and still not even make it halfway there.

Once inside, she closed the door behind her & turned to face him. Her fingers played mercilessly with the ends of her sleeves. Fezco had only a slight change in his demeanor. He looked nervous to have the "What are we?" conversation with Leilani. There was no telling which of them was more anxious.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" She asked in a faux clueless manner. He patted his hand on the bed, motioning for her to take a seat next to him. A conversation as big as this one, couldn't be had with one party standing cowardly at the door & the other sitting in contemplation across the room. Lei decided to make her way over to the spot he'd patted his hand. She crossed her legs and placed an elbow on the top leg making it easier for her to bite her nails.

"Everything, ma," She looked over to her right, at him, & quickly broke eye contact, "I mean, we had sex & shit but... that's not even what we really gotta talk about like... he got your house raided & shit."