Chapter 6 | Two Days

Start from the beginning

Turn around, fast as I can.

Launch forward and stab them in the abdominal aorta.

Don't know where that is...

Anyway just stab them in the stomach.

And run for my life.

Okay, I take one more pause as I think this through. I'm ready.

I drop the crumbled envelope and reach for the screwdriver, turned around, punched my arm out, lurching forward as I go for my 'stab'.

I feel someone catch my wrist, stopping my 'stab plan' and I look up and I see...

Andrew.

Huh? Why is he here!

But why are his eyes bulging...?

I glance down, seeing a perfect inch space between the screwdriver and his stomach. I gasp. I drop the screwdriver, feeling this surge of relief that it wasn't the men from before. But Andrew.

"Oh shit." I almost stabbed Andrew.

"Jaylin?" his voice is in shock. "Why-"

I feel his hands grasp my arm as my knee goes weak to the ground.

I stare down at the broken wooden cracks on the porch, my eyes shift from one crack to another, muttering 'sorry, I'm sorry' over and over again.

My eyes get covered with a blur as I feel every pulse from my heart pounding out of my chest, my breathing getting short but fast as I huff in and out.

My head rises by Andrew's hands, his hands cup my cheek, making me look into his eyes, blinking my glossy eyes trying to focus on him. I hear his muffled 'hey's' as he tries to grab my attention back to life.

"Hey! Hey! Look at me, look at me," he carefully holds my face. "Breathe. Breathe, Jaylin. Breathe through your nose."

I watch him demonstrate it to me as I move my head with his head, copying him.

I hitch my breathing as I try to relax as I only watch him.

I don't want to see that man again.

I want to tell someone.

I don't want this.

I don't want it.

I'm a loser.

I'm a mess.

And I have to...

I feel the suffocation fade away, feeling the cool wind hit my face, the wind ruffling through my hair, feeling the coolness touch my neck. I like the wind.

"It's okay, it's okay. Breathe in." He simulates 'breathing in' and I follow.

"And breathe out..." he simulates 'breathing out'. I follow again.

There are now small hiccups as I breathe through my nose as I finally stable it.

My breathing gets quieter, the air around us fills the silence, my eyes stay on him, his eyes stay on mine, his eyes shifting back forth between my right eye to my left eye.

There are no more hiccups and wheezes to my breathing, we just stay.

We just stay like this with him holding my face sitting on the ground in front of each other.

My heavy head resting and relaxing in his large palms, noticing his thumb caressing over my cheekbones.

Relaxing my whole body.