25 - how extraordinary

Start from the beginning

"Of course, how could I forget," Charlie chuckled. "Those letters were lifelines."

"Those years of longing and waiting and being apart, they were worth it, weren't they?" Maria asked, looking up at him.

"Every second of it, sweetheart," Charlie said, pressing a tender kiss to her temple.

"I love you," Maria said.

"I love you more," Charlie said, untwining their hands so he could place his arm around Maria's waist instead. "Always more, doll."

"It's not a competition," Maria said, smiling softly.

"No," Charlie said. "It's not, but I still love you more and most."

Maria rolled her eyes softly before stopping in front of two gravestones. "We're here."

JOSEPH RICHARD KEATING

MARGARET ROSE KEATING

Maria leaned into Charlie's embrace as they stood before her parents' gravestones. She looked on at the two gravestones. It had been a while since she had been back to Ohio to visit her parents, to speak with them, and she suddenly felt a little choked up.

Charlie tightened his hold around her, offering silent comfort.

"I wish they were here to meet you," Maria whispered.

Charlie pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "I know, sweetheart."

Maria bent down, the fallen leaves crunching under her tweed skirt. "Mom, Dad," she began, her voice quivering. "I've brought someone very special for you to meet. His name's Charlie."

Charlie followed her, dropping onto one knee. "Hi Mr. and Mrs. Keating," he said and then looked over to Maria. He reached for her hand. He knew how much Maria's parents meant to her and how deeply their absence had been felt.

"You know, doll, I think it may be a little late for me to ask for your parents' permission now that we're already married," Charlie said, hoping to lighten the mood. There was a playful glimmer in his eyes - a look that had stayed after the last seven years and looked even more lovely on him at twenty-five, according to Maria. "I think I'm going to make a vow to them instead."

"A vow?"

He smiled and then turned to the gravestones. "Mr. and Mrs. Keating," he started. "I'm here before you today to make a vow - a promise. I promise to continue cherishing and protecting Maria Joanne Keating -" he paused, humour glinting in his eyes. "Actually, it's Dalton now, isn't it? Maria Joanne Dalton now."

Maria rolled her eyes at his wolfish grin. "Not technically," she said. "I haven't sent in the paperwork yet."

Charlie hummed. "We'll get to that," he promised. He turned back to the gravestones. "As I was saying - I promise to continue cherishing and protecting and loving Maria Joanne Dalton -" Maria giggled, "- with everything I have, for the rest of our lives. I promise to be her partner, her confidant, and her unwavering support through all the ups and downs. I vow to love her, to make her laugh every day, and hold her hand through every challenge and obstacle."

Charlie's voice trembled with emotion as he continued, his gaze never wavering from the gravestones even when Maria's grip tightened on his hand. "I promise to honor the love you had for your daughter. I vow to give Maria a lifetime of happiness and a love that knows no bounds."

Maria's eyes filled with tears as she listened to Charlie.

"Maria and I - we've been through a lot together ever since we met at sixteen," Charlie chuckled softly at that. "We've made it through distance, through being apart, through so much and for years our love really did know no bounds. No distance was far enough. No time apart was long enough to make our love waver. And I'd be the biggest idiot in the world if I let that go."