22 - we'll make this work, doll

Start from the beginning

He smiled at her softly at her. "Hey, doll," he said. His eyes moved over her quickly, taking her in her red-rimmed eyes and something tugged at him. He stepped toward her, reaching for her hand and intertwining their fingers together.

"Maria, these are my parents," he said, introducing them. "Mom, Dad, this is Maria."

Maria looked up in surprise at the two adults standing before her. There was an undeniable resemblance between Charlie and his father - he was practically a carbon copy, but there was something in his mother's eyes, a twinkle of mischief, that Maria found familiar.

Charlie's father stood tall with a commanding presence. His salt-and-pepper hair was neatly groomed, adding a touch of distinguished elegance to his appearance.

Beside him stood Charlie's mother looked gentle and graceful - almost regal. Her hazel eyes were kind and compassionate, radiating a genuine warmth that drew people in. Her dark hair, streaked with strands of silver, cascaded down in gentle waves, framing her face.

Both of them possessed an air of sophistication and refinement, evident in their impeccable attire and composed demeanor and Maria remembered suddenly how well-off Charlie really was.

Charlie's mother extended her hand towards Maria, her smile warm and genuine. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Maria," she said. "Charlie has spoken so highly of you."

Maria shook her hand, her cheeks turning slightly pink. "Thank you, Mrs. Dalton," she replied softly.

Charlie's father stepped forward, extending his hand to shake Maria's. He gave her a friendly grin. "Charlie has told us how much you mean to him. It's great to finally meet the girl who has captured our son's heart."

Maria blushed deeper, embarrassment and happiness coloring her cheeks. "I'm honored," she murmured, casting a glance at Charlie.

He smiled at her, the look somewhere between amused and proud. He squeezed her hand gently, reassuring her.

Charlie's parents exchanged a brief glance at one another, identical knowing smiles on their faces as they looked on at the two teenagers, a little lost in their own world. They remembered when they had been like that.

Charlie's mother, with a twinkle in her eye, turned to her husband and spoke with a teasing tone. "Henry, it seems like our son has found his match, hasn't he?"

Charlie's father chuckled and nodded, his gaze shifting between Charlie and Maria. "Indeed, dear. It looks like Charlie has found someone truly special."

Maria couldn't help but feel a wave of warmth and acceptance wash over her. The genuine affection and joy radiating from Charlie's parents reassured her that she was welcome and that there wasn't any protest against their relationship.

Charlie placed a reassuring hand on Maria's back, his touch grounding her.

"We just wanted to stop by and say hello," Charlie's mother said. "You two should spend some time together. We won't keep you any longer."

Charlie gave his parents a grateful smile. "Thank you, Mom," he said. "I'll walk you both out."

As they stepped out of Maria's quarters, Charlie's mother turned to him and in a motion of affection, found his hair again and brushed it back. "She's very pretty, Charlie," she remarked softly.

"I've always thought so," Charlie said cheekily.

His mother laughed. "You've found yourself a lovely girl."

"I know."

"Do well to keep her," she said. "Even with what will happen - we'll support you both throughout it."