His mother reached out and brushed a stray lock of hair off Charlie's forehead. "We trust our son, Mr. Nolan," she said, nailing the headmaster with a cold look. "And we've always believed in his ability to make the right choices. If he says it's just friendship, then we believe him."

Charlie's father leaned forward, his voice carrying a firm tone. "You may have concerns, Mr. Nolan, but I'd appreciate it if you refrain from making baseless assumptions about my son. We raised him well, and we stand by him," he said and then smiled politically. "I'd hate for the donation that Dalton Financial Group provides to Welton to be decreased in the coming year because of some mere assumptions."

Charlie tried to hide his smug smile.

Nolan's composure wavered for a moment, but he quickly regained his poise. "Very well," he said, dismissing them with a wave of his hand. He then looked to Charlie. "But remember, Mr. Dalton, a young man's future can be easily swayed by those he associates with, particularly by the wills and whims of women."

As Charlie and his parents rose from their seats, Mrs. Dalton smiled cooly at Nolan. "We'll leave you to your business, Mr. Nolan, pleasure," she said and then braced a hand on her son's shoulder, ignoring the outstretched hand Nolan had given her to shake, and the three of them walked out of the office.

Outside of the office and a bit down the hall, his mother stopped and Charlie looked up in question. "Mom?"

"She's not just your friend, is she?"

Charlie's eyes widened slightly and he exchanged a brief glance with his father before turning back to his mother. "No, Mom," he admitted, "Maria...she means a lot to me."

His mother lifted a brow.

"Being with her, it's like... like everything falls into place," he said. "When she's around, I feel this warmth in my heart, this sense of belonging and peace. She understands me in a way that no one else does and she sees the real me, the person I've always wanted to be."

His mother's gaze softened and she nodded, encouraging him to continue.

"I think... I think I've fallen in love with her," Charlie confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. "Every time I see her smile - and it's so radiant, Mom - every time she laughs, it's like the world stops and everything else fades away. We're going steady, her and I and I'm very serious about her."

His mother's eyes softened and she gently squeezed his shoulder. "Charlie, you know we just want you to be happy," she said warmly. "Successful, yes, but also happy on your own terms. If Maria brings you joy and love, then we support you wholeheartedly. Love is a beautiful thing, and if Maria has captured your heart in such a profound way, then I believe in the power of your love."

His father nodded in agreement, placing a hand on Charlie's other shoulder. "We trust your judgement, son," he added. "And if she's the one that's been making you smile and inspiring you, and helping those rising marks I've been seeing," he gave Charlie a knowing look, "then we couldn't ask for anything more."

Charlie beamed up at his parents.

He squeezed Charlie's shoulder again. "Charlie, when you find someone who makes your heart soar, who ignites a fire within you, you hold onto that love with all your might," his father said. "We trust your judgement, Charlie, now more than ever seeing how you've grown this year, and we'll be here for you every step of the way."

"Thank you, Mom, Dad," he whispered.

His mother smiled at him and smoothed down his hair. "I hate that we have to say goodbye again until the holidays, Charlie, but before we go, could I perhaps have the pleasure of meeting Maria? It would put my mind at ease."