He could see the same look in Lan Zhan's pale eyes but it only lasted a heartbeat.

"Wei Ying stay with brother. I'll go first."

"Lan Zhan no! We said we would do this together. Remember?"

Lan Zhan took Wei Ying's other hand and gave him a big smile. Well, at least big by Lan Zhan's standards.

"Not apart long. Will be waiting for my Wei Ying."

The jade's voice was calm and certain and Wei Ying needed that assurance right now. With one final peck on the lips, Lan Zhan turned away and walked through the large doors that closed behind him, blocking Wei Ying's view.

Wei Ying stood there, willing the doors to open again. But their heavy presence refused to budge.

"Wei-gongzi, please. Come sit with me." Lan Xichen offered, gesturing with his right hand towards a small bench off to the side.

Wei Ying graciously accepted the invitation and walked under the large maple tree to the beautifully carved wooden bench. The two sat together, neither one looking at the other. Wei Ying fiddled with the red threads that hung from Chenqing still tucked away in his belt.

"It's a beautiful instrument." Lan Xichen complimented. "How long have you played it?"

"Since I was five. My grandmother gave it to me."

"That's wonderful. Every member of our clan practices the playing of many instruments. Music is very important to our cultivation. Do you enjoy music, young master Wei?"

Wei Ying smiled. Lan Xichen didn't seem so bad. It was obvious that he cared deeply for his brother and Wei Ying could understand that protectiveness.

"I love music. It speaks to my soul. I can't help but move when I hear a melody born from someone's heart. We might all think differently or speak in our own unique tongues but music...music is something we can all understand. It connects us. It can make us happy when we are sad or loved when we are lonely."

Wei Ying could see the look on Zewu-jun's face. The older man's smile was genuine this time, not forced or wary.

"You're very perceptive." the First Jade said.

Lan Xichen's words were filled with kindness for the first time since Wei Ying met him. He could feel his nervousness easing a bit but, without Lan Zhan next to him, Wei Ying still felt on edge. His eyes locked onto the closed doors again.

What was taking so long? Was Lan Zhan alright?

"I'm sure Wangji is fine, young master."

Wei Ying turned and gawked at the man sitting next to him.

"No, I cannot read your mind. But, if I was in your position, I know I would be worried."

Wei Ying was beginning to like the First Jade.

"Thank you." he said. "I'm glad that Lan Zhan has a brother like you to take care of him."

Lan Xichen nodded his head. He shifted his position so he could look Wei Ying in the eye.

"Wei-gongzi, I must ask you something."

"Of course! Anything you want."

The older man cleared his throat. "Do you love my brother?"

Wei Ying gasped and swallowed at the same time. He began coughing, trying to suck in his next breath without much success. Lan Xichen patted his back until the sudden attack subsided.

"I'm sorry. But I must know if I am to support the both of you in whatever you choose. I care about my little brother probably more than anyone else here. I only want what is best for him as I'm hoping you do as well. So please, tell me. Do you love Wangji?"