Chapter Three

A pounding patter of water exploded in my ear-drums and Father's rumble spoke from above.

Above? My eyes flung open as the pain shook through me. My body flew upright on the make-shift bed and the side of my shoulder protested as my gaze darted around a familiar-looking room.

"Easy." A deep voice came from my left and my head flung in its direction. My nostrils flared as I sense the darkness protruding from him. The scent that should linger on him was the only thing missing. I moved fast until my back connected with the wall.

My divine dagger was nowhere to be seen. That stupid thing never appeared when I needed it the most.

The revelation of missing wings dawned on me. "Where are my wings?"

"Easy." His palms faced me this time. The black markings covered his skin. There was no sign of his black wings or his horns.

I took huge breaths, something which was foreign to me as we do not breathe like humans. Only when we came to earth, take on a human form, did our divine figures become human and we needed air to fill our lungs.

"Where are my wings? Speak!"

His triangle eyes slightly grew at the tone of my voice. A huff escaped his lips as he stared at me. "You forgot the magic word."

My eyebrows pulled together. "What magic word!"

"Please."

I huffed. The word wasn't foreign to me, but it possessed no magic at all. "I'm not here to play games. What did you do with my wings and what am I doing here with you?"

"You fell from the sky, hurt your wing badly. I had to mask it so that people won't know that you are here. Your wings are still attached to your body. You just can't see it for now. It needs to heal before you can go back. The other word you are looking for is thank you." He got up and moved to a silly excuse for a kitchen. The place was weird as my eyes skidded to the unstable roof. It was unstable and my eyes didn't play tricks on me. Silver rifle plates that resembled the walls became the shelter of this fallen angel.

He was shuffling things around in the kitchen, making a huge ruckus that murdered my ears. We learn about kitchen and earthly things in Divine classes, but I was sure it looked much more than what his kitchen looked like.

"Where did you find me?"

"Near the Landwehr."

"Where is he?"

"Who?"

"Don't play games with me, demon. Where is your buddy, Melatos?"

His lips curved as his right eyebrow raised. "You killed Melatos, impressive. I was wondering who the black stain belonged to. Good to know that he is no more."

"Stop, I know you knew it was him. You are all connected to each other like a virus strand that feeds off the innocent."

"You might go easy on the name callings, sweetheart. I haven't been part of that clan for a long time."

"What?"

"I don't belong to any side."

"There is no way out for us, you know it."

"Yeah, well, I don't abide by those rules anymore. Believe me when I say that I don't want you here just as much as you don't want to be here, but I know you have to get back to heaven. Rest, so that your wing can heal."

He carried on with something in his kitchen on a small fire coming from a plate. It looked weird. It was strange how little I knew about the human world and it was even stranger seeing a fallen among them, as if he was one of them.

"You still haven't answered my question. What am I doing here?"

His body expelled a lot of air. "I'd forgotten how demanding your kind is. Your little crash caused a blackout for three whole days in Berlin, destroyed part of a canal that has been here since 1850. You really should be careful next time. Many people got hurt. If I wasn't close by, the authorities would've found you, and they do not let humans know about our kind. They kill all sightings fast and they would've locked you in a cell. If you want to be locked in a cell and letting them do tests on you to figure out what you are, I could make a few calls and let them know where you are."

"What I am? What it's not common knowledge?"

He chuckled. "An angel would spread out their wings in Gendarmarkt and they would still question their origin."

I shook my head, remembering what he asked about calling the authorities.

"The word is thank you. But I guess they don't teach you that in Divine classes."

He opened a door barely hanging on a hinge above his head and took out a cup. I knew he deemed me not saying please and thank you as highly rude, but he was what he was. They didn't own a sliver of kindness or truth. Only tricks and lies. Trusting one was the worst you could do.

He brought the cup toward me. A pain grew in my stomach. I pain I'd never had and a funny grumble sound filled the air closer to us.

I searched for what made that sound, but it appeared it was only the two of us here.

He pushed the cup in front of my nose. "Drink before you are going to starve."

"I don't need that." The words slipped through clench teeth as I stared at the thick yellow much with yellow bits stuck in them, steam emanating from the cup.

"You are human for the time you are here, princess. You need substance. I'm sure they taught you all about fuel for a human body in angel school."

My eyes narrowed, not appreciating the tone that reached my ears. It sounded mockery.

He pushed the cup toward me again.

"What is it?"

"Corn soup, a rather peculiar taste that the poor are living off. It's not bad."

"I don't trust you."

"I don't trust you either, but we are in a bit of a tricky situation here. One I should've walked away from when your white wings glistened underneath you, but something inside made me turned around to help, so the choice is yours. Drink, don't drink, but I can't save you from starvation. It's not a great feeling either. There are urges here on earth you need to fulfill, otherwise it's not a pretty feeling." He put the cup on the ground as I just glared at him.

"Again, thank you is the word you've been searching for."

My gaze flickered up at him. "Thanks," I whispered, and the demon huffed.

It was weird. He didn't look like a demon at all, but then I remembered the one thing that Uriel always told me. Lucifer was the most beautiful angel that Father ever created. Meaning that his appearance shouldn't fool me either.

1128 words

Let me know what you think about chapter two. If you find any mistakes let me know. Thanks for reading.