"some things don't go as planned"

Nanami's POV

I woke up at 8 like any other day. But today was different, I heard the sound of trucks so I peeked outside my window. I saw a moving truck next door.

Someone must be moving in  I thought to myself.

I got ready for work like usual and made a piece of toast for breakfast. When I opened the door to my house I saw a woman with caramel brown hair standing outside. She was holding a little boy who I assumed was her son. She turned around and I instantly recognized her. It was Y/n, my old coworker. She's married to the boss of the company that I worked for but they were opposites. Y/n's always been a sweet and kind person while her husband was the complete opposite.

"...Nanami, it's been a while" Y/n started the conversation. "It has, I didn't know you were moving in here with the boss, where is he?" I asked her. "Oh..we divorced a few months back, so it's just me and Kaede" Y/n said.

It seemed like it hurt her a bit by asking but she tried to hide her feelings.

"I'm sorry" I apologized to her. "No, no, it's fine, I'm doing great" she reassured me. "That's good to hear. Anyways, you're getting so big" I said to Kaede.

The last time I saw him, he was a few months old and now he was at least 3.

"How old are you?" I asked him. "I'm four" Kaede held up four fingers.

Y/n smiled at her son.

"Do you need help with any of this?" I asked her. "No I got it, please don't worry about me. I'm sure there's something else you could be doing" Y/n said. "Okay but can I invite you for dinner tonight?" I asked her. "I guess that'll be fine, but don't make anything too expensive. It's just me and Kaede" Y/n told me. "Okay then I'll see you tonight" I said before making my way to work.

I wondered what happened between her and her husband. They seem really happy together, I couldn't understand why they'd get a divorce. But I guess some things don't go as planned. While I was driving, I got a call from Gojo. I had no choice but to pick it up.

"Nanami, where are you? You're usually here by now" Gojo said. "I'm sorry, an old friend just moved next door and we had a conversation" I told Gojo, and then I instantly regretted what I had just said. "...ohhh does this happen to be someone more than a friend?" Gojo asked me.

I could tell he was grinning over the phone.

"What...no...she has a son" I said to him. "Well is she divorced...a widow maybe?" Gojo cared more than I did. "I'll be there in 15 minutes" I tried to change the subject. "Avoiding the subject are we?" Gojo asked me. "Bye" I said before hanging up.

Y/n's POV

"So this is where we're gonna live mommy?" Kaede asked me. "Yeah, let's go inside and check it out" I said to him.

I put him down on the ground so he could stand up and we walked into our new house.

"Whoa" he was amused. "Do you like it?" I asked him. "I love it!" Kaede jumped with excitement. "I'm happy you like it, do you want to help me unpack?" I asked him. "Can we look at all the rooms first?" he asked me. "Sure but as soon as we're done, we're unpacking okay?" I told Kaede. "Okay" he agreed with me.

He held onto my hand and we went upstairs. There were two rooms upstairs and one bathroom.

"Is this my room?" Kaede asked while pointing at the slightly smaller room. I nodded my head. "And that's you and daddy's room?" Kaede asked me. "No...that's only my room, daddy doesn't live with us anymore" I told him. "oh...I forgot" Kaede said.

I felt bad for him but I couldn't live with his father anymore, I couldn't argue with my husband and act like everything was okay when we were with our son. As much as it pained me to see my son in such a complicated situation, it would have pained me more to stay with my ex husband.

"Don't worry, you'll still see him, I promise. Now let's go downstairs" I tried to keep Kaede's mind off of things. "Okay so these boxes have labels on them, we'll move all the kitchen stuff to the kitchen and keep all the living room stuff here. The things that need to go upstairs, we'll move them by the stairs" I explained my plan to Kaede.

We moved the boxes to the right places. I was so lucky to get such an amazing son. He was such a smart and curious boy who was always kind and helpful. After an hour, I had everything set up in the living room.

"Wow mommy! You did that so fast!" Kaede complimented me. "That's mommy magic" I told him.

We then went to the kitchen and started unpacking. I set Kaede on the counter while I started putting things in the pantry. I finished quickly.

"We really need to go grocery shopping" I said to Kaede. "For real" he agreed with me.

I smiled at his response and then got lost in unpacking. When I was finished in the kitchen the sun was already setting.

"Kaede...what time is it?" I asked my son. "I see a 6 on the stove" he replied to me. "What!" I yelled. "What happened?" Kaede asked me. "You remember the man who I was talking to this morning?" I asked Kaede. "Yeah, why?" he replied. "He invited us to dinner" I said to Kaede.

I took him off the counter and we got ready for dinner. Once we done, we went next door and I knocked on the door. Nanami quickly answered the door.

"I hope we're not late" I said to him. "I'm almost done, come in" Nanami welcomed us into his house.