Chapter thirteen - The man

Armin

The bus jolted with each turn it made en route to Marley University.

From his seat by the window Armin watched as trees and cars whizzed by, the outline of buildings fading into a blur of brick. Much like it's exterior, the inside of the bus was also a stir of noise and movement. Though that was mainly because Dr Hange kept standing in their seat, pointing out landmarks to a reluctant Assistant Moblit.

Nonetheless, whilst the bus and the world beyond it were buzzing, Armin was still. He was calm. Content. Because right now, as the Paradis second-years were waiting to be delivered to the location of their compulsory course trip, he was holding your hand.

He was actually holding your hand, and as cliche as it sounded, it made him feel like the luckiest man in the world. You weren't entirely paying attention to him, at least not in the same way he was you. Your head was in a book, your hand in his as the bus shook over a speed bump. But you looked so pretty in the cool morning sunlight, your eyes tired and hair loose.

Armin glanced down to where your fingers entwined. He had to stop himself from blinking for fear the sight would vanish. In a simple caress his pinky slid against yours, the skin of your own so unbearably soft.

The whole closeness of it all reminded him of that first night at Zeke's house, and how things had changed since then. Really, there were no words to describe the last two weeks. For Armin, they'd felt like a fever dream - your soft touches and loving words.

The fact that you were his. Because you were dating.

It felt almost impossible. Every morning of the last fortnight he'd woken thinking he'd find a text from you ending things. Every night he'd fallen asleep wondering if that day would be the last he'd spend with you. And yet...

"What's wrong?" you asked softly, giving his hand a squeeze.

Armin smiled, dropping his head to your shoulder. You were still here. "Nothing," he said. "I was just thinking."

You lifted a brow, eyeing him from beneath the pages of your book. "Sounds dangerous."

He laughed at that - a laugh that felt genuine - and nodded against your neck. Though he knew you were only joking, he couldn't help but find an ironic truth to your words. His thoughts were dangerous.

He'd been regretting the way he'd treated you during your first time together. In truth, apart from the times you kissed him, held him, made him feel needed, that was all he'd thought about. It had been too rushed, too rough. He wanted to make it up to you. But he hadn't had the chance with Eren always around.

Eren.

That had taken some explaining. Armin could still picture the embarrassment on your face when you'd realised he'd heard everything. He swore your ears were flushed for days. But it was worth it - to him at least. Jealousy still haunted him. Going through all he had with you, he doubted it would fade.

But as he caught sight of your hand again, still squeezing his, Armin sighed and kissed your shoulder. He had nothing to be jealous of. There was no one and nothing now to come between you. You were here, holding his hand.

So long as you kept doing that, he'd be okay.

With a soft smile, he kissed your shoulder again, and you giggled this time - the sound intoxicating. It was in moments like these that Armin knew he loved you - the moments when your presence washed away the guilt he felt over the things he'd done to have you.

So he kissed you again. And again. And again. Until you whispered his name and pressed the back of your palm to his thigh. His blood ran hot with the pressure, brain trying to remind himself why he shouldn't be doing this right now...