Chapter Fourteen

We promise according to our hopes and act according to our fears

and act according to our fears.

Jaime rode back to Riverrun draped over Eleonora's horse, his hands tied with her ripped under slip. It was all for appearances. He returned without a fight. He knew Eleonora would drive her Frey dagger through his throat if he attempted to flee. He knew how unhinged she was now, unpredictable and wild. Eleonora Stark had fucked him, and she would kill him just as easily. They were spotted just outside the tree line surrounding the castle by Tully bannermen. They dressed him in chains and dragged him ahead of Eleonora after she dismounted her bareback horse.

 They dressed him in chains and dragged him ahead of Eleonora after she dismounted her bareback horse

She walked as a dead woman, an empty shell. She was drenched of rain and dew from head to toe, covered in mud and earth. Ser Desmond Grell, the Tully castellan, looked on at her with a stunned expression, standing speechless in the large doorway leading into the west corner of the keep. She lifted her heavy skirts when she approached him as the Kingslayer disappeared inside.

"Where is my mother?" she asked without an inkling of emotion. "Where is my uncle Edmure?"

It took a moment for Ser Desmond to find his words, "Your lady mother is with your uncle in Lord Holster's chambers under Utherydes Wayn standing guard."

"She will be removed and remain in the dungeons," she said, staring straight ahead. "Have her placed within the cell furthest from the Kingslayer's."

"Lady Stark," he protested breathlessly. "She is still your mother, my lady of Riverrun. I beg you to be merciful."

"If she had been any other man, I would have removed her head," she spat. "The dungeon is a mercy. My lady mother lives now only because of the love I have for her."

"I cannot order Lord Holster's daughter to the dungeon—"

"If you will not, I will," she snapped, staring wickedly at him. Eleonora motioned for Torrhen Karstark and his men to gather near them. They hurried to her side. "See that my lady mother is brought to the dungeons for safe keeping. If she refuses, drag her."