Chapter Six

Beauty is power; A smile is its sword

The air was always heavy in King's Landing, insufferably so. Sometimes the humidity was so thick that it felt burdensome just to step outside. The sun too rose early and fell too late for Eleonora's liking. Her skin had already darkened several shades after a few sunburned days outside exploring the castle grounds. There was always a steady stream of sweat pouring down her back and littering her cheeks and forehead. She felt sticky and uncomfortable most conscious hours of the day and falling asleep under such conditions proved to be a challenge.

The sun never slowly crept in, kissing her cheeks to wake her from her slumber. No, the sun always seemed to appear without warning, jolting Eleonora awake with an unwelcomed blow. She groaned loudly as she rolled over from her stomach to her back, staring up at her canopy hanging over her bed. Her chamber door burst open without warning; two of the smallest Starks in King's Landing came sprinting through the entryway. Arya leapt up onto her sister's bed, helping her little brother with a boost. Rickon landed on top of Eleonora, straddling her abdomen. She released a pained sigh at Rickon's weight upon her stomach. Arya perched herself beside her eldest sister, crouched down on her knees.

"Septa says you can take us to visit the sea before lessons today," Arya exclaimed. "Will you take us? Please?"

"Please, Nora," Rickon beamed.

"Hm, I will have to think on it," Eleonora teased, tapping her finger to her chin. "I would probably be much more likely to appease such a request if a pair of wild wolves would have the decency to knock before entering a lady's chamber at such an early hour."

"Oh, come on, Nora," Arya pleaded. "Please!"

"Where am I being permitted to escort you again?" she smirked.

"The sea, the sea," Rickon bounced, earning another groan from Eleonora.

"Well, I suppose I could be bothered for a morning swim," she smiled, affectionately pulling Rickon's face down to hers to blow sloppy kisses on his cheeks.

Arya jumped up and down with joy. Eleonora shifted Rickon from her stomach and joined her little sister and brother by jumping gleefully upon her large canopy bed. She held Rickon's hands and assisted with lifting him higher into the air with every leap. The three Starks chanted their impromptu song, "We're going to the sea today! We're going to the sea!"

Eddard Stark heard the commotion and walked into Eleonora's chamber. He couldn't help but smile at the scene before him. He knew the move south had been hard on them, and he was pleased to see his children sticking together and finding glimmering instances of delight.

"What's all this then?" asked Ned, grinning.

"Septa says we can visit the beach before lessons," said Arya, leaping from the bed into her father's arms before setting her down.