Chapter Thirteen

And the stars in the night were the eyes of his wolf, and the wind itself was their song

Eleonora didn't need to ask Robb if he had smoothed things over with Lord Karstark. Their discussion had quickly turned into a shouting match just shy of resorting to blows. A heavy cloud of tension hung low above the holdfast.

Eleonora had changed into one of her only gowns that hadn't been damaged whilst on the journey south. It was a dress that had been made for her in King's Landing when she was with her lord father. She had worn it once and now it only reminded her of him. It was a beautiful grey color with silver embellishments along the sleeves and waist. It was bare around her shoulders and hugged tightly upon her upper arms. Her hair fell down her back in loose waves, and she felt for a moment how she existed before the war. She felt as she had in Winterfell, well groomed and care free. She would never feel that way again, she reminded herself.

The Riverrun gardens were unimpressive compared to the beauty of the flowers within King's Landing. Regardless, after a long morning practicing with her bow at the archer's field, she was able to collect several lovely and unique flowers of vibrant violets and blues.

She had picked the bouquet for a purpose. Rounding the corner of the upper corridor, a door was open and a warm candlelight flickered like a summer storm. Eleonora knocked lightly and peeked her head inside. Lord Rickard Karstark sat hovered over a stack of papers, writing vigorously then pausing to read over his words. He ceased his work and quickly stood up and bowed to her.

"My lady," he said with a small warm smile. "I was not expecting you."

"My apologies, my lord," she said gently. "I was hoping you had a moment."

"Of course," he replied, pulling out the empty chair beside his desk for her to sit upon before returning to his own.

"I have brought you flowers to honor your Eddard," she said. "I should have come to privately pay my respects to you earlier."

Lord Karstark accepted the flowers, admired them, and placed them in his water cup atop his desk. He took a moment to situate them in a way where all the colors and flowers could be seen at a glance. Eleonora noticed his eyes appeared wet though no tears littered his cheeks. He took a long moment before he responded.

"You have been grieving your own loss, my lady," he said gently, in what Eleonora recognized as the voice of a father.

"It is no excuse," said Eleonora softly. "No loss is more significant than the other, some are simply felt more momentously when it is your own blood. I did not know your Eddard well, but I did know him as a kind man. I could always see the love and admiration he had for you in his eyes. What a special relationship you shared."