The Party and The Stars

Start from the beginning

And it can't be wrong, not if it feels this right

Turn it up

Scream it loud, yeah

We were screaming the lyrics to Rihanna's throwback song and jamming in the back seat. Something about this type of music made me lose all of my nerves. Nothing could ruin my energy as my entire torso was out of the car, holding onto the handle inside the sedan and screaming my heart out.

When the song ended, I heard the iconic laugh, then a single word dance, into bass and scratchy beats.

Back door cracked, we don't need a key

We get in for free

No VIP sleaze

Drink that Cool-Aid, follow my lead

Now you're one of us

You're comin' with me

It's time to kill the lights and

Shut the DJ down (this place about to-)

Tonight we're taking over 

No one's getting out

I heard Ruby shout from inside the car, but I couldn't listen to what she was saying as I could only feel the wind rushing through my hair and on my face. I didn't care much as I was cackling up a storm singing the words, not having a single care in the world. I continued screaming the lyrics and arched my back to get all of the wind blowing on me. I felt someone try to pull me inside the car, so I sat inside, and Willow closed my window.

"No more window privileges for you, babes!" She shouted over the song as I rolled my eyes. I wasn't too upset as I got handed a birthday cake flavored Hershey's kiss from August in the backseat.

"Happy late birthday, honey!" She squeezed my arm, and I unwrapped light blue tinfoil popping the off-white colored candy into my mouth, sucking and crunching on the multicolored sprinkles. I could see from Willow's phone we were only a minute away from the house party. I was excited as I felt already warm and ready for the party to start.

We turned into a neighborhood, and I watched the map say the house was on our right. We pulled onto the side of the curb next to several other cars, and I opened the car door looking at the dark and slightly dingy house.

"Are you sure this is the house?" I asked skeptically.

"Yeah, the party is in the basement. Sarah said she didn't want to disturb the neighbors with the noise." Willow locked her car and walked in front of us. I followed her again onto the unfamiliar porch with an unusual welcome mat.

 I followed her again onto the unfamiliar porch with an unusual welcome mat