°•° 3 °•°

Depuis le début

This is all going to be worth it, I reminded myself. Just think of Cameron's face when he sees you walking down the dock. That produced a smile and made me start running once again, pushing my guilt out of my mind.

By the time I made it to the parking lot of Pilliar's Lake's private beach sector, I was glistening with sweat and everything was dark around me except for the occasional street light. But I was here, even with a few minutes to spare.

I walked up to the gate that separated the one patio section and dock that the lake's owners had set up to make sure the area stayed private, and pulled on one of the bars. It was locked, as I had expected so I looked through the gate, seeking out one of my three friends that was supposed to be here. Though there were little Christmas lights strung over the patio, it barely gave me a haze of light to see by.

But there, on the dock, I could see the tall silhouette of none other than Cameron.

"Locking me out already? It's not even ten yet!" I yelled.

Cameron's form straightened, before spinning around to look at me. "Bec? Is that you?"

"The one and only." I grinned.

His disbelieving laugh floated over and he followed after it. When he stepped up onto the patio, I could finally make out his broad shoulders and bright smile under the small lights. And, you know, my heart totally didn't flip upside down upon seeing him only in his swimming trunks, shirtless. Why would it do that?

"Hey! I didn't expect you to come," he exclaimed as he stopped on the other side of the fence.

"Me either." I chuckled nervously.

"How did you convince your parents?"

I looked away from his eyes, flattening out my bangs. "I didn't, really."

His soft hazel eyes widened. "You didn't? You snuck out?"

I rolled my eyes, trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. "Yeah. Guess I'm a rebellious teenager or something."

He chortled, shaking his head. His eyes bore into mine and I tried not to act like it was the most nerve wracking thing that could physically happen to me. "Every day you surprise me more and more, Rebecca Shǐ."

He reached over and unlocked the fence door and good thing because if he hadn't looked away so soon he would have seen my raging blush.

He pulled the door open and I dropped my bag on one of the patio chairs. I slipped off my sandals and my T-shirt, uncovering my black and teal, skin tight swim shirt and bright coral water shorts. I suddenly felt very self conscious so I spun to look at Cameron. "Race you to the water?"

Before he could reply, I turned and sprinted to the dock.

"Hey! That's not fair and you know it!" But even with the head start, I barely crashed into the lake before him, squealing as he tried his hardest to beat me.

I burst through the water, laughing and spurting. Cam came up a moment later, beaming from ear to ear.

"Bec, hey!" Braylin greeted excitedly as she swam over in her cute yellow one piece suit. Jonah was right behind her, giving me a welcoming smile. "I'm so glad you came."

"Me, too." I smiled, though I could tell by the slight droop of her expression that she caught the tension in my voice.

"Isn't the lake great at night?" Jonah said, cutting through the pause in conversation. "I've only ever been in the middle of the day and it's like a whole new world out here."

"Exactly! That's why I kept asking my parents to let me use the beach tonight."

"Wait, I thought they just let you," I stated, a little confused.