12- Lanterns and Longing

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night

Harvest Moon-Neil Young

May's POV

I'm going to talk to Harry tonight, after the lantern festival. I've been looking forward to this and I just don't want anything to ruin it. He's never been before and I'm excited to experience it with him. It's truly something magical to witness and I miss that feeling.

I took Harry to the Seaside Aquarium & Marine Center yesterday, this was Eli's idea, and I was thankful for the suggestion. Harry's love for marine life was something to witness. He was so childlike with his interactions. I think his favorite exhibit was the otters. It's one of the most popular and largest exhibits at the center. Otters are at risk of becoming extinct in our area due to the commercial fishing, so the marine center helps with conservation efforts.

Harry and I watched the otters swim around for a good while. They have this massive tank set up for them that looks like an underwater waterpark. The otters would slide and swim through tunnels and you could watch them. They were so playful. Harry's camera was working overtime. We got pictures of each other all over the place. My favorite spot was the dolphins. I've always wanted to swim with dolphins but have never had the chance to. So, this was the next best thing, getting to see them up close.

After we left the aquarium, we went to the spot where all the food trucks park along the beach. I got a bowl of ramen and Harry got a macaroni and cheese slider. It was the best sandwich I'd ever seen. He let me try it and I almost asked him to switch meals with me, it was so delicious. He snapped pictures of all the food trucks and he was able to get some awesome shots with the beach in the background. The waves were pretty big yesterday and the whole scene was just cool to see on film. Harry also took pictures of our food, and me messily eating my large bowl of noodles. I know those are going to be super flattering.

He never missed an opportunity to sneak kisses from me or hold my hand throughout the day. He was his charming flirty self per usual and I soaked all of it up. Part of me wondered if he ever had a bad day, in the nearly two weeks that we had spent together he was always so bright and cheerful. The only time he was upset is when I was, but he usually spent those times comforting me or trying to cheer me up. Harry's time here has been a nice break for me, one that I'll cherish. I'm going to miss his sweet disposition and our daily adventures. He's made me feel alive again in ways I never thought were possible.

It's now 6 pm and the festival starts at 7. I've decided on a sundress with a lacy lingerie set underneath. There's a live band playing tonight on the beach and we need to get there in time to set our fire pit up. Harry told me he was going to pack us a picnic dinner so we could eat before we had smores. I thought that was so sweet of him and I'm curious as to what he plans on bringing.

I'm in the bathroom now, applying mascara to my lashes. I added winged liner to my lash line and some red liquid lipstick. I have my hair half up half down and dangly earrings on. As I look at myself, I feel pretty, I like what I see, and I can't help but smile. I've enjoyed getting more dressed up lately, wearing dresses and cute shorts, bathing suits, and flowery tops. It really beats my mundane work clothes, and also makes me want to continue dressing this way even when Harry leaves.

"Miles, how does mommy look?" I ask as I give him a twirl. He's perched in the bathroom doorway, tail wagging as he watches me get dressed. He looks at me and his head turns sideways at my question as I bend down to pet his head. I reach my hand out to him, "gimme paw," and he does as he gives my nose a lick.