Chapter 16: Core of Truths

Start from the beginning

Wei WuXian huffed and spoke up, "If this curse caused this, and I am to extract it there will be a risk. If I am losing control, if I seem to hurt anyone, you all are to kill me," he looks at all the startled faces with a fierce glare, "Without hesitation,"

"Young Master Wei-"

"Sect Leader Jin, do you have any opposition to my death? Last I recalled, it was your nephew that attempted to kill me two years ago?" Wei WuXian raised a sharp eyebrow up.

Jin Guangshan just raised his hands with a nervous laughter, "No, no, I was not opposing anything. We are to follow your lead for this anyway, whatever you want,"

Jin Guangshan wanted Wei WuXian dead anyway, and everyone in the room knew it. Wei WuXian gave a sarcastic smile at the male, before speaking and leaving no room for arguments, "Xichen-Ge, let me tell you your part in the extraction process,"

Lan WangJi heard muffled voices and the distant sound of arguing between a man and a woman. His eyes cracked open, his meridians jolting with resentment and spiritual enregy, shocking him into alert as he registers the restraints he is trapped in. He looks up, eyes wide and takes in his current setting.

He is in the Fragrance Hall, and he is not alone. Jin Guangshan is on his throne, Jin Guangyao standing at the foot of it. Around the room are Nie Huaisang, Nie MingJue, Jiang Cheng, Jiang Yanli, Jin ZiXuan, Wen Qing, Lan Xichen, and Wei WuXian. He stares at Wei WuXian, eyes taking in his figure as the memories assault him.

For a brief moment, he is frozen in place as he remembers what he had done to Xue Yang. To the delusional kid.

He..he had killed him. Bichen had made a quick slash to Xue Yang's neck without his full awareness. Lan WangJi was hit with the sudden revelation...

He had lost control.

Not only of his emotions but his actions. The perfectly crafted self restraint he had built up to perfection for 23 years had snapped. Snapped and a life had been lost. No, not lost. Taken.

Lan WangJi inhaled shakily, glancing down carefully at the splatters of blood. Of a child's blood. He had taken the life of a young child.

The horror and disgust flushes through him. He shuts his eyes tightly to avoid to red stains.

'What was I thinking...what have I done?'

His meridians flail and Lan WangJi is hit with the dark reminder, 'He tried to kill Wei Ying. He cursed me to get to Wei Ying,'

That's right...

Lan WangJi slowly opened his eyes again, expression steeling into acceptance. Xue Yang was hardly innocent. He had done massive crimes under the Jin Sect, such as cursing Lan WangJi and an attempt to murder Wei WuXian. He found himself coming to a steady resolution, breathing slowly falling back into ease. His ears focus onto Wei WuXian's voice where he talking to Lan Xichen, "...give him spiritual energy while I absorb it into me,"

Lan WangJi knows exactly what's going on. The memories of the plan and the words Xue Yang had said make fear rush through like an arrow. The guilt and regret is shoved aside, the matter at hand thrusted forward with alarm. He calls out, "Wei Ying!!"

Everyone in the room snaps their attention to him, Wei WuXian's eyes widening at the feared expression he sees. Before he can speak, Lan Xichen has already ran past and towards his brother, crouching beside the boy. Lan WangJi stares at his brother, seeing guilt and pain etched into the features. He frowns in worry, "Brother?"

Lan Xichen only gives a wobbly smile, before gently cupping Lan WangJi's face and asking softly, "Didi, do you remember? Do you remember what happened to Young Master Xue?"