she's not my soulmate

Start from the beginning

Neither of them could tell how long they had been standing like this, two lonely people in the middle of a great, empty library. The sun was setting down, and its red beams had been getting into the room long before they noticed, but they didn't care. There was no one else in the Manoban house – and they had all time in the world for themselves.

"Feeling better?" Lisa asked, eventually, acknowledging that her friend's sobbing had almost ceased. Jennie nodded, face still buried in her shoulder. She smiled softly. "You need a tissue?"

She nodded again, sniffing. Lisa took one of her hands from her back and reached to the pocket of her jeans; her other one was still embracing her, keeping her close to her chest. Not that she was going anywhere.

"Here," she said, forcing her to pull away a little, and handing her the tissue, holding it right in front of her eyes. "Do you want me to wipe your nose or you'll do that yourself?"

"I'm not that overwhelmed, thank you very much," Jennie answered in a mock offended voice, taking the item in her fingers and using it, loudly. Lisa laughed shortly, and she almost did the same. "That was rather undignified, I'm afraid," she admitted.

"Not as much as your snuffling."

"I hate your sarcasm."

"It's not sarcasm. I'm just mean."

"Yeah, right."

She took the tissue from her hand, ignoring her protests and sliding it into her back pocket. Jennie sighed, and rested her forehead on her shoulder again.

"Can I just stay like this for a little longer?"

"No problem. How long exactly?"

"Forever?"

"I think that will do."

"Thanks, Lili," she mumbled. "You're the best."

"Yeah, I know."

They remained silent for a little longer – Lisa gently rubbing her back, Jennie just leaning against her, breathing her in with every inhale she made.

"It's going to be so hard," she whispered finally.

"Nah, it's not. Just have a little faith, and you'll see it will be fine. There's a happy ending waiting for you, Nini, it will just take you some time to figure out the way to it."

"How can you be so sure?"

"This is how this world works. Besides, if your parents could have got along, then you and Hanbin will as well."

"And what if he's not the one?"

Lisa froze for a moment, surprised with her question. Could she be serious?

"Hey, listen," she said, taking her arms and pulling her away slightly. "You know he is."

"I mean, he does have this mark, but -"

"Jen, stop." She let her out of the hug and took her hand, raising it to her eye level. There was a little, black mark on her wrist, with a symbol she could never mistake. "What do you see?"

"My stupid soulmate tattoo."

"Does that look simple for you?"

"What do you mean?" she raised an eyebrow, not sure how to answer that.

"Does that look like a symbol you could confuse?"

"No."

"Is it complex?"

"Yes."

"And what was that mark you saw on Hanbin's chest?"

She hesitated.