Chapter 23 - School Festival! 1

Momoko’s POV

   Today is the first day of our annual School Fall Festival and everyone is buzzing with excitement.

   “BOO!”

   “KYAAAAAA!”

   I chuckled quietly after scaring a passing couple in front of me. The girl was scared beyond her wits as she clung to her boyfriend. The boyfriend gripped her shoulder to comfort her as he tries to appear brave but anyone can tell how scared he looked. I, at least, can tell despite how dark the surroundings are.

   After they’ve passed, I resumed my earlier position and readied myself for another people or couple to scare. We were doing a haunted house, if that isn’t obvious. And there’s nothing but couples that enter the place at the moment.

   “Another couple is coming your way, Momo. Be prepared.” Kaoru announced through the microphone chip in my ear. I smirked. “Roger that.” It must be so nice to go into a haunted house with your boyfriend and cling to him because you’re oh so scared. As much as I want to go with Brick, there’d really be no fun if we went to our class’ haunted house.

   I hear soft footsteps coming closer and I waited for the perfect chance to scare them.

   “…I’m s-so scared.” I hear the girl whisper softly to her boyfriend.

   The boyfriend chuckled nervously as he swiftly went behind his girlfriend. I rolled my eyes. How brave. “H-hey! Why am I in the front?!” The girl gasped and the two started to bicker right in front of my eyes. I slowly and quietly crept behind the girl—making sure not to get noticed.

   I blew air near her neck and I see her instantly freeze. I resist the urge to snicker. Her boyfriend looked at her in confusion. “Is…something wrong?” he asked nervously as he approached her slowly and looked at their surroundings. It’s no use though. Its pitch black here. The only light source is the very dim lights scattered here and there.

   “I-I…S-something is…” the girl stuttered in horror. I took in a deep breath and, “Boo…!”

   They all burst screaming and I ended up getting pushed in the process of their little panic attack as they ran towards the exit. I groaned as I fell on the ground on my butt.

   “Darn. They didn’t need to push…” I muttered. I was about to stand up when a hand grasped my shoulder. I shrieked and quickly scurried away from the person or something that grabbed me. A dark figure stood in front of me and I have to narrow my eyes to help them adjust in the dark and look better at the person in front of me.

   “Kaoru?”

   “Momoko,” she sighs and looks down at me with her eyebrow raised. “What the hell are you doing?”

   “Jesus! You scared the crap outta me!” I gasped and let out a breathy laugh. She rolled her eyes and helped me stand up. I got a little scared for a moment there. Well! It was because it was so unexpected and out of the blue!

   Kaoru’s costume is a Grim Reaper. She’s wearing a black robe with the ends ripped and the hood is draped over her head. She was also holding a prop Scythe to complete off the whole look. While I, on the other hand, is wearing a bloodied maid costume. There are rips here and there. There’s also fake blood on my legs, arms and a few splashes on my face. My bow is replaced with a maid headpiece and my long auburn hair is left flowing behind my back.

   For a prop, I have a bloodied chainsaw. It’s just cardboard though. Not a real one. Real ones are heavy.

   Kaoru rested her right hand on her hip while the other is holding her scythe. “What are you doing on the floor? Having a little break?” I shook my head and grunted. “There was this couple who unintentionally shoved me out of the way after I scared them.”