Lucy had always been close with Daphne, while Eleanor was close with Eloise. By extension of her friendship with Eloise, Eleanor also became close with Penelope Featherington. Her sister and her counterparts were so alike that Eloise's mother, the Dowager Viscountess Violet Bridgerton, once joked that they were more suited to be triplets rather than dear friends- two of them even had names that went well together and were born just two weeks apart- Eleanor being the older one.

Their elder and only brother Henry spent a lot of time with Colin, the third Bridgerton son, and as a result, were often being scolded by their parents almost every day of their childhoods for causing mayhem everywhere they set foot- something that they had mostly grown out of, thankfully. They weren't necessarily badly behaved, just a tiny bit cheeky with tendencies to sneak around and pull pranks on anyone and everyone.

The Blackthorne siblings hadn't been back in London in over a year, since their mother Margaret's health began to decline for reasons unknown to them, or any physicians they had employed in search of answers to their questions. However, she had finally begun to feel well enough over the past few weeks, so their parents decided collectively to finally make the trip to London to officially welcome the girls into society. Lucy who was at the age of one-and-twenty would be having a late start, as many girls are introduced when they are as young as seventeen or eighteen. Marriage was never something she or her sister thought of very much growing up- truth be told she didn't even mind the prospect of becoming a spinster. That changed over the course of the year that they spent in Suffolk, though. As days and nights went by Lucy found herself yearning deeply for someone to spend that time with, someone who she connected with on all levels, someone who truly understood her. She had become her deepest fear, the one thing she swore she would never become- a hopeless romantic.

The Blackthorne father and current Duke, George, had become somewhat melancholic and violent at the same time in the wake of their mother's ill health. This was another reason why she wanted to get away. She wanted someone who could make her feel safe and loved, to take her away from her father. It was most certainly not a pleasant year at Suffolk, which is why Lucy knew that the only way to finally leave Wyndall house and build her own life, away from the foreign feelings she felt in her own home along with her father's wrath, was to get married. She decided that she was not going to rush into something with someone whom she did not love, but she still knew that she hadn't much time to waste.

She also knew that if she didn't meet a suitable gentleman and get married this season, she would likely not have the opportunity again, and would return to Wyndall house- where her mother's health would almost certainly deteriorate again, having a significant effect on her father's temper. When she would be able to return to London again after this season, was up in the air, and the amount of eligible bachelors around Suffolk was dwindling in numbers. She did love her parents, but living in such a hostile environment scared her- escaping was a necessity. She shuddered to think about what could become of her father if her mother passed. This season in London was her last hope.

Lucy finally arose from her comfortable bed and made her way to the other side of her room where her lady's maids were waiting to dress her and fix her coiffure. They helped her don a flattering light purple frock, with floral embellishments at the bottom, to make her striking eyes stand out even more. Her hair was pulled into a carefully styled bun of brown curls at the nape of her neck, with a few strands meticulously loose at the front, as to frame her face. Pins with white flowers attached to them were placed in the bun, giving an element of countryside elegance to the simple hairstyle. A bonnet with flowers and colors matching her dress was placed carefully on her head, and she was then ready to depart for London.

As Lucy departed her room, she was greeted by her brother, who stood tall and towered over her frame.

"Early as ever, sis. Mother won't like that you slept in again, you know," He commented with that familiar grin on his face.

"You're lucky I haven't told Mother that you stole her lady's maid for a late night walk in the gardens last night, dear brother. You were gone for quite a while as I recall" Lucy replied, matching his devilish grin. His expression suddenly turned serious- too serious for Henry.

"You- how do you know that?" He asked, confused and worried.

"You won't tell on me, will you? Dear God I-" Henry continued.

He knew that if his mother found out, no matter what state her health was in, she would throttle him for compromising a respectable member of the household. Not that it was the first time that the two had snuck off together, mind, but still. Lucy didn't seem to know that. And his mother certainly didn't know either.

"Relax, Henry- I'm only joking. Save the blasphemy for whatever trouble you're bound to get into in London" She winked.

The tension that had built up in the couple of seconds they had been talking disappeared.

"You're not funny, you know," he said, his fear slowly vanishing.

"You can always dish it but can never take it, Henry." Lucy replied with a laugh. The girl made her way down the stairs to meet the rest of her family who were waiting patiently in the foyer. Henry rolled his eyes as he watched her descend the grand marble staircase before him, and followed her down.

About half an hour later the family were on their way to London, the three young Blackthorne's in one carriage and their parents in another. It was a fine day for the commute- the skies blue and the clouds a puffy cotton white, no evidence of any oncoming rain, which was rare for a spring day as cold as this one. They passed an endless amount of hills, animals scoured across them, and they passed occasional public houses or cottages. They knew they were finally approaching London when they began to smell the familiar and slightly unsettling scent of the Thames. They were soon entering the front door of their Mayfair home, and the pungent smell of the city was replaced by the nostalgic scent of Jasmine.

Lucy finally felt a weight that she did not know she had been carrying lifted off of her shoulders, and for the first time in a long while, she felt at ease. She was in London. She was home.