Chapter 27: No, not happening

As I was swimming I found a very intriguing poster in one of the store windows. I stopped and turned my head so slowly it was creaking. I squinted and almost punched his face. On a poster it said: A Month Till The Prince Becomes King! Then it showed a beautiful golden crown with jewels and decorations in the crown. My crown, the one that was made to rest on my head, not some lowlife boy, no offense to Agua. I ripped the paper off the window and stared at it wondering. WHAT?! THATS MY CROWN! NOT HIS! And he was smiling, smiling about my crown. I swear . . . then as if rocks were being dropped into my arms, it all made sense. I understood, the pieces were falling together. Agua was trying to solve the mystery of the royal family because he wanted to making sure the royal family wouldn't come back. When he asked me about my birthday with such a serious tone, I knew there was more of a reason behind it! I wouldn't want anyone to take my crown either. And a way to do that is to make sure the people who are actually in line for the throne are out of the way. Forever. How he acted I thought maybe he didn't want to take over the throne. But I'm sure he could've easily said that to his mom and she could've passed it down to his sister. Why was he taking over the throne anyway? His mom didn't seem too old to where she couldn't have the throne a bit longer. . . maybe . . . I needed to get to Kai. Immediately. I swam super fast and eventually made it to Pirates Cove Hospital. The seventh one. I burst in and again ignored all the shocked faces. The hospital was pure white everywhere with bright lights and two hallways branching off from the desk straight ahead. I swam straight to the counter," Was there a boy called Kai that came here? I'm in a rush." The pale woman had blonde hair so close to white in the sun I wouldn't have given it a second glance. She looked as if this kind of thing happened all the time and she was used to it. She talked with a British accent," Go down the hall, take the elevator to the right, and then first door to your left, love." The woman's name tag said Chloe," Thank you, Chloe," I smiled and slowly swam away. I wondered what I was going to say," I'm sorry but there's something more important going on right now?" " I'm sorry can you forgive me?" I didn't get to really think about it before Kai had swam out of the elevator and swam into me," I'm sor-" I looked up to apologize for my unawareness of the merpeople around me when I saw Kai's face looking down into mine. " How'd you find me?" I smiled and then remembered the last time we had seen each other didn't end so great. I still needed to apologize. Me and my smile dropped," I'm sorry for snapping, I didn't mean it.I'm under a lot of stress and I take it out on," I looked around carefully and dropped my voice to a whisper," People." He noticed my joke and smiled," Can you forgive me?" Kai didn't really smile he just pulled me into a hug," It happens to everyone, of course I forgive you." I shook my head," No, but I was super rude, I snapped." I hugged him tighter and smiled," Thank you for forgiving me." He pulled back and I heard the elevator open with a ding. I looked up to see a girl glaring at me from inside the elevator. I nervously waved and she crossed her arms." Who is she?" Kai turned around," She's a friend of mine, Zayana meet Star." I almost lost myself, she didn't have to be rude. I mean you smack someone across the head once and you're enemies for life. "What happened to you?" She asked, I tried to control my temper but then looked down suddenly realizing I probably did look utterly horrible like I -" You look like you crawled out of a dumpster." Kai tried to interject," Star, don't-" I frowned and my eyes shot up," She certainly looks old," I answered back crossing my arms too. She stressed for a second then with a sneer answered," Aww, that's cute. Giving other merpeople "insults" to make yourself feel better." I just smiled," Don't be jealous if things happen to me and not you." She had a faint confused look on her face and I swam a little closer and whispered," Like if Kai cares about me more than you." I smiled, grabbed Kai's hand and led him out the hospital, right outside the entrance. leaving a horrified girl behind. I remembered what I had to tell Kai," Kai, I have something extremely important to tell you but if I tell you it might risk your life." Kai stopped and looked at me," What?" He had frightened eyes as if he was more worried about me then himself at the moment. I looked around and thought," Where is that secret place you were telling me about before?" he smiled but then his eyes quickly shot back to the girl, Star, in the doorway watching." Hey um, what's-your-name, you might need to get home." She cocked her head," Why?" I smiled at the thought in my head," Because when a beautiful and powerful girl strikes you, on accident mind you," I say scowling at Kai who gave me a look," and you get knocked out so hard you need to go to the hospital, maybe you should rest so it doesn't happen again." I nodded and she tried to give me a death stare but it just looked like she was trying to poo standing up." What are you doing?" Kai and me asked in unison," We have to do something and umm, merpeople who get beat up super easily aren't allowed." " Zayana." Kai said. I flicked my hand at him and he smiled," Come on, Star." It took a long time to make it to Star's house. Someone wanted to whine and complain the whole entire time, so it made it longer than it had to be." Bye, what's-your-name." While Kai and me were swimming away to his secret hide out I told him everything. And when I say everything, I really mean everything. Starting from the cave, my aunt telling me I'm royalty, to when I turned into a mermaid for the second time, and everything else. But most important, my theory: that Prince Agua wanted me dead.