13 - a phone call from god

Start from the beginning

Charlie sighed and bent over, resting his hands on the smooth surface of the desk. His hands were slick with sweat and he found it hard to find his grip, but then he heard Nolan rustle behind him and Charlie tried his best to stay strong.

"Count aloud, Mr. Dalton," Nolan demanded, and the first strike landed.

"One," Charlie grunted, his voice strained.

The next few strikes were just as painful, if not more, and Charlie bit back a cry after counting off each one. "Two. Three. Four. Five."

He squeezed his eyes tight, fingers gripping the desk as the pain radiated, and he held in a sigh of relief as Nolan paused temporarily.

"What is this Dead Poets Society? I want names."

Charlie gritted his teeth but remained silent. He wasn't going to rat out his friends, no matter what.

Nolan looked over Charlie's shaking frame, noting his white knuckles against the oak desk, but his otherwise stubborn resolve. Flippant teenagers. "You're a fool, Mr. Dalton," he said finally. "But I know you're not the only one. There are others involved in this, and I will find them."

Charlie said nothing again, his chest aching with guilt. He was in physical pain, but on one hand, he kind of deserved the swats, didn't he? The memory of Maria's tears surfaced in his mind and suddenly, it wasn't his body that was hurting anymore, but his heart.

God, he had hurt her so much.

His focus bounced between the pain in his behind and the pain in his chest and he realized with defeaning certainty that he had to make things right again - especially with Maria - he wasn't sure how he'd do it, but he had to.

Nolan tapped him with the paddle and Charlie hissed, inwardly groaning. "Why don't we finish up these swats and you can decide if you want to continue being a fool or not, Mr. Dalton."

••●••

The whispers died down as Charlie walked stiffly down the hall, heading back to his room.

"You kicked out?" Neil asked as he approached.

"No," Charlie said with a sniff.

"So what happened?" Neil asked and the group quickly gathered around Charlie as he paused, bracing his hand against his doorframe.

"I'm to turn everybody in, apologize to the school and all will be forgiven," Charlie cast them all a sardonic smile.

The boys around him paled.

"So, what are you gonna do?" Neil pressed.

Charlie said nothing.

"Charlie!"

"Damn it, Neil. The name is Nuwanda," Charlie said and then smiled softly.

Neil let out a breath of relief and matched Charlie's soft smile as the others around them visibly relaxed.

Charlie looked around and frowned when he realized one of the group was missing. "Where's Maria?"

The boys stiffened almost instantly, looking between themselves nervously.

"Where is she?" Charlie said again, louder this time. "Neil. Knox. Where?"

"She's-She's with Nolan," Knox finally said and grimaced when Charlie's eyes flashed dangerously.

"What? Why?" He straightened quickly and instantly regretted it as pain radiated in his behind. He winced, eyes squeezing for just a moment before he looked at the boys. "Why is she with Nolan?"