"Can you believe it?" Rashid said. "I mean, the sultan is that desperate to go to war? He could just use the gold reward to start it if he wanted to. Why does he even need to get the jewel?"

"For the wealth, obviously," Badriya said. "One way or the other, we were born with avarice in our hearts, and that doesn't exclude the sultan."

Rashid crossed his arms. "Well, the hunt sounds outright absurd. It was a waste of time coming here to listen about it."

Badriya gazed at the messenger's tent. "It might sound absurd, but that doesn't mean it's impossible."

"Are you seriously considering to volunteer?" he asked in disbelief. "You won't be able to travel without a horse or food or even water for the journey. You don't have the money."

"When did that ever stop me?" she asked, smirking. "I already have an idea how to get myself some supplies."

"But it's dangerous out there!" Rashid argued. "You and I heard the rumors about slave traders and dune robbers from passing caravans. They might get you in no time!"

Waving a hand, Badriya began walking towards the tent. "Those are just rumors to scare away people." She gave him a sly glance. "And since when did you get so concerned about my safety?"

"Ever since we got close!" Rashid said. "Please, Riya. This doesn't feel right. You'll get hurt if you do this. Or worse."

Badriya ignored him and headed for the tent. The messenger was sitting on a cushioned chair talking to one of the guards. He turned to them.

"Marhaban," Badriya greeted. "We wish to volunteer for the jewel hunt."

"Ah, excellent." The messenger snapped his fingers, and a guard came over with a parchment and pen in his hands. "Your name?"

"Badriya," she said.

The messenger nodded at Rashid standing beside her, his arms still crossed. "I mean your brother here."

Badriya's eye twitched, and not because he called Rashid her brother. "He doesn't want to participate. It's only me."

"Oh." The messenger blinked. "What is your father's name, then?"

"I don't have one," she bit out. "The only thing that taught me how to live is the desert, and so I bear its name as my own."

"I see." The messenger scribbled on his paper and handed it back to the guard, who then gave him a leather pouch with the sultan's symbol. As he handed it to Badriya, she saw Rashid stare at the bag in her peripheral vision. She opened it, revealing a handful of copper coins.

"It may not be much, but it may sustain you for a few days." The messenger smiled. "The sultan sends glad tidings to those brave enough to accept his challenge. Good luck."

After receiving the measly pay from the messenger, Badriya went back to Mustafa's place

After receiving the measly pay from the messenger, Badriya went back to Mustafa's place. On the way, Rashid tried convincing her to withdraw from the hunt, but Badriya didn't want to hear any of it. Her decision was final. She wanted to win the prize, and her friend's petty begging won't stop her.