Chapter 7

Four months later.

Many things have changed in the last several months. The first change that came was from Shyam. When he had learned that Khushi was planning on being a lawyer, he thought it was a green signal for him. He started harnessing her more. When Arnav learned about it from Payal, he headed home to beat the shit out of Shyam, but he was late. As Khushi had already taken care of Shyam. What no one knew was that along with English tuition classes, she had started taking karate classes as well. She had kneed Shyam in his groin before punching him hard in the nose. Shyam had to find excuses to give to Anjali about how his nose broke. 

Arnav and Khushi were ready to reveal his truth in front of the family when something strange happened. There was a sudden magnitude 5 earthquake in Delhi that caused a few buildings around Delhi to fall down in pieces. Arshi had just reached the living room to tell the family about it when the news of earthquake came on the TV. Everyone was watching it with their complete focus. The news anchor was the victims being taken to the nearby hospitals when Manorama gasped out loud dramatically.

"Hello Hi Bye Bye! Ye damadji inn victimz ma kahe? Wo to kahe ki to Mumbai jawat rahe?" she wondered aloud. [ Why is our son in law with the victims here? Wasn't he supposed to be in Mumbai?]

Realizing the truth in her words, Anjali and Naniji gasped when they saw an injure Shyam was being taken to Delhi city hospital. Arnav and Khushi exchanged a confused look. They didn't know what was happening but they decided to go with the flow. They went to the hospital and that's where Shyam's real face was revealed. 

When they reached the hospital, they found three women fighting amongst themselves. All of them were claiming to be Shyam's wives. There were five kids as well whom the women claimed to be Shyam's. It was a big blur after that. Three days later, Shyam was arrested for fraud and many other charges. He had also lied about being a lawyer so that increased his punishment. Arnav spoke to the commissioner personally to make sure Shyam wouldn't get bail easily. Initially, Anjali was upset. But as time went by, she realized that she was also a victim. So, she divorced Shyam and started getting over him. She just wanted a healthy and happy baby to spend her life with. Arnav and Khushi were bewildered at how the matter of Shyam was dealt with without anyone's involvement. It was like Khushi's Devi maiya had been compensating for causing her pain.

Out of the blue, one day Arnav received a call from Khushi around 11 am. As she would usually be at the college, Arnav panicked thinking something might have happened there. "Hello, Khushi? Sab thik hai na?" [Is everything ok?] he asked, getting up from his chair. He had already grabbed his car keys to get to his wife.

"Ar-Arnavji," Khushi choked out. It was clear that she was crying.

"Kya baat hai, jaan? Don't worry. Main abhi aaraha hu." he assured as he almost ran out of his cabin. [What is it, sweetheart? Don't worry! I am on my way.]

Khushi sniffed, "A-Alekh mama ka... p-phone aya tha. Uss shaitan ne isbar decide kiya ki.. ki wo Maa aur Papa se sabki video call karwayenge. Iss umeed me ki... ki shayed wo ab kuch bolde." she explained through her sobs. [Uncle Alekh had called... That bastard has decided that this time he would make a video call to my uncles and aunts in hopes that by showing them to each other, my parents might open their mouths.]

Even though Arnav didn't understand most of it, but he got the gist of the matter. The villain of Khushi's life was going to let her parents' friends do a video call to her parents. This would prove that her parents were still alive. "And you want to be with your uncle when this call happens?" Arnav guessed.

"I do... I very much do." Khushi whispered.

"Kaha jana hai hume? I'll arrange everything." He promised. [Tell me where we have to go?]