Rejected bond (Amerus Soulmate AU pt 1)

Warning: Angst and mentions of illness! I don't think it's something too graphic or bad, but either way I recommend discretion!
-----------------------------------------------

The pale sky shone dimly, clouds covering every inch of blue, spreading like an illness and turning colours into pale and cheap imitations of life, greyish tones crawling over far away buildings and trees, making the morning boring and sad. The immense mass of clouds moved slowly under the pressure of the cold breeze, almost lazily, if one was to give human characteristics to the white colossus.

Russia blinked slowly, resting his head on one hand and not even trying to pretend he was paying attention to class. The literature teacher looked at him occasionally, probably trying to decide if he should talk to him, or if that would be a bad idea, after all he was the best in his subject and, even if he usually kept to himself, this behaviour was far from normal for him.

Seeing the worry of the teacher's face almost made him feel guilty, but the feeling was easily overpowered by the helpless numbness that had started to seep into his bones since last week.

So he continued ignoring everything around him, gaze lost in the landscape outside of the window, peeking through the windows on the other side of the hallway. What was the point of doing homework and projects if you're going to die anyway? The thought made the stone in his stomach heavier. He should have stayed home today.

Looking down, he tried to glare at the thread tied to his right pinky finger.

Most people had a red thread of fate tied into the pinky of their dominant hand, as a promise of someone that Destiny had made just for them, as a prophecy of happy days to come and a life filled with love. Some people did not have it and, being so, they were free to choose a partner on their own or decide to not have one at all.

In a way, he was envying of them.

It's not that he didn't want a chosen one, far from it, he was a helpless romantic, one of those idiots that had dreamt about wedding bells, hills and children since he had opened his eyes one morning to find his red thread visible for the first time. He had followed the red line with his eyes, excitedly going over the ups and downs of the thin line, wondering who would be on the other side.

He had loved his soulmate even before finding out who he was.

The difference between him and others was simple, he could actually see the whole of the threads that hung from everyone's pinkies. While almost anyone would only be able to see a meter or so of their own thread, he was part of a small part of the population that had access to everyone's fate in the form of a world filled with twisting translucent threads.

There were theories about individuals like him, he remembered from their biology class. Thousands of years ago there had been individuals without threads with the same ability, passed down from generations, whose role in their respective communities seemed to be uniting people and helping fate. In those long lost times, they had helped to end wars, unite kingdoms and allow people to generally be happy. They had used to only have children with people without threads, but at some point that practice had been lost, and as they mixed with people with threads, it had resulted in people like him.

It was really a joke from Destiny.

Now he was forced to see Death right in the eyes, unavoidable and constantly approaching.

The day he had found out his destined one was America, was the same day the white country had passed sneering by his side, pushing his shoulder as they walked in different directions. He had watched the thread in disbelief, following it over and over again as the other disappeared in the crowd.