Chapter 14

Kaya's POV
Alby appears, looking horrified at the sight in front of him.
"No," Ben says, shaking his head as he sees Alby. "No, no, no!" he repeats.
"Alright, lift his shirt." Alby orders and Ben continues to mutter as everyone does so. His stomach is a pale, sickly colour and a large stabbing wound rests on the right side of it, surrounded by infected looking veins. I gasp, suddenly feeling nauseous and Thomas grips my waist.
"He's been stung." Gally speaks before looking at Alby. "In the middle of the day?" Alby looks pained for a second before standing up again.
"Put him in the pit." He orders. "Come on, everybody help!"
"NO!" Ben starts to thrash around again and Newt calls over Clint, one of the Med-jacks to help. Eventually, it takes about six boys to carry Ben towards the pit and I look after them, horrified. Thomas follows Alby and Chuck follows Thomas, but I'm too frozen to move.
"What happened to him?" I ask Jeff, since he's the other Med-jack and he would probably know.
"He was stung." Jeff explains. "By a Griever."
"Newt says Grievers only come out at night." I recall. "If they come out during the day, they could find their way towards those openings and see the Glade."
That isn't going to happen. It never has." Jeff assures me.
"How... big are these Grievers?" I inquire.

"Not small enough to fit through that gap, from what I've heard." Jeff informs me. "I'm not allowed to tell you much. It's only your second day. You should go find Alby and Thomas. He'll probably be explaining it." After thanking Jeff, I rush off to the Homestead where I see Thomas, Chuck and Alby.
"It's called the changing." Alby elucidates. "It's what happens when someone gets stung. Listen," he rubs his hands together. "We haven't been able to get a clear word out of Ben since it happened. He's not making any sense. And it's only going to get worse."
"Is there some sort of serum? A way to heal it?" I ask.
"Yes." Alby admits. "There's Griever Serum. But he's too far gone. You either get it before the infection spreads, or you don't..." Alby closes his eyes for a second before taking a deep breath and looking back at Thomas. "He's dangerous. What did he say to you?"
"H-he said that he saw me." Thomas tells him, quietly. "That this was all my fault." He looks so crestfallen I wish I could take all of his worries and confusion away. "How could this be my fault?"
"Get some rest." Alby says, patting Thomas's back. "You too, Kaya." Then he gets up and walks away, but I speak before he goes too far.
"Alby?"
"Yeah?"
"What's gonna happen to him?" I question.

The Glade is more quiet than usual, and I assume it's because of today's events.
"Why won't he tell us what's happening to Ben?" I ask Chuck.
"Well, he's probably being banished." Chuck admits.
"They're kicking him out of the Glade?" Thomas inserts, surprised.
"That's what happens when you break a rule." Chuck reminds us.
"But... Won't he die out there? In the maze, with the Grievers?" I remind everyone.
"He will. But Alby says it's the only way to establish order. Make sure people know that their actions have consequences." Chuck says. Without another word, I get up and leave the Homestead, walking towards the Maze doors. What surprises me is that I see a lot of Gladers already there, and all the Keepers and Newt are holding long sticks.
"Newt?" I ask and he looks up, startled.
"Kaya? What're you doing here?" Newt panics a little.
"You can't send him out there." I say, shaking my head. "Please, Newt. You can't do that to him!"
"It's not up to you what happens, Kaya." Gally interrupts, though for once, he doesn't sound hateful. "What's done is done."
"Please, Newt." I continue to beg, ignoring him. "Please. Please just don't do this."
"How do you know about this anyway?" Newt questions, trying to distract me.
"Figured it out." I lie. "Look, you don't have to punish him this way, Newt. Please think this over." I beg, grabbing his hands in an attempt to pull him away from the situation.