Chapter 5

We ran to the box and Newt jumped in.

"What is it?" I say and see peek my head over the edge.

"It's a boy."

I looked and jumped down in the box.
A boy maybe my age stared at me without saying a word. I looked up at Newt "I think you might want to let me handle this one." Newt nodded his head and all the boys left. When I looked down at the boy he was looking at me. I immediately noticed those brown eyes. He stared at me and I instantly felt a connection. "I'm Kaya." I said and looked at the boy.
"Can you tell me your name?"
"I don't know."
"Where am I?"
I turned toward The Greenie and smiled. I extended my hand and helped them out of the box.
"Let me show you."
As soon as I help the Greenie up he ran straight for the maze.
"Dammit Greenie!"
"Newt! get him to the pit!" I yelled and bolted after the greenie.
I finally caught up to him and knocked him to the ground. I got on top of him and held his arms above his head. "Listen Greenie," I say between breaths.
"You can't go in there. Do you understand me?" I say and he nods. After a while we just stare at each other getting lost in each others eyes. "Kaya!" A voice jerked us back to reality and I looked down at the boy.
"You're not going to try and run anymore?" I ask him. He shakes his head and I slowly get off of him and help him up. I turn to see Minho heading towards us.
"What's going on here?" He raises his eye brow and crosses his arms. "Greenie here tried to run into the maze."
"Hey why don't you show him around." Minho says. I fold my arms over my chest and look at Minho. What game was he trying to play at? After a huge stare down I finally gave up.
"Fine." I look at Michael and point at him.
"You. Come with me."
I explained everything to him in a proper way.
"How was that even possible?" He asks me as we sit on top of the lookout, staring out at the now closed doors.
"I don't know." I reply
"But whatever this palce is - we can't just stay here." He replies shaking his head as his knees shake a little with anxiety.
"Hey," I start, placing my hand on his leg to stop it from jerking. "You need to calm down." I soothingly trace small circles on his knees with my fingers, trying to relax the boy. There's just something so familiar about him...
"Why are we different?" he asks suddenly. "Why did I have to be the lat one? Why are you one if the onl girls?Why was there a note in my hand? Why is there a freaking maze out there and why are we cornered here?"
"I don't know." I admit. "But... I think things are going to change." But the boy doesn't respond. All he does is bury his face in his knees before he starts to sob. A little shocked, I find myself feeling the exact same emotions as him. Confusion, anxiety, distrust, anger, sadness, vulnerability, claustrophobia and so much more. But I can't seem to let my tears out of my own eyes. Because it's almost as if the boy is crying for the both of us. So I do the only thing I can do: I wrap my arms around the boy and let him cry into my shoulder.