"okay, this might have to grow on you, so you can tell me if you hate it," she told the boy, worried that she might've gotten so carried away with sentiment that she had forgotten about actual practicality. nevertheless, ricky opened the lid of the box and stared at the contents with wonder.

ricky picked up the dainty chain inside like it was glass, the star charm at its end trembling as it reached the air. he recognized it immediately – the same famous necklace that was always draped around nini's neck.

"i don't know if you remember this at all, but that day i ran into you at the bathroom of margo's ep release party?" nini started, ricky moving his head around the necklace to examine it. "you said you liked my necklace, and i said that it was only right to keep the delicate star charm on the thin chain because they were complementary. then, you asked that if you were to find the perfect charm and chain pair, why would you separate them?

"looking back at that moment, it's kind of a metaphor for us. you and i are complimentary, just like the chain and charm combination. i can never imagine being separated from you, because like i said that day, it wouldn't make sense at all. i wanted you to have the same necklace as me so it could be a physical tie between us."

the next thing ricky knew, he was tearing up himself. "i remember," he ensured, chunking back a sob. "i was so nervous to see you that night."

"same here," nini admitted, trying to read ricky's expression. "you don't have to wear it or anything. i don't know if you're a neckla–"

before nini could finish her sentence, ricky was already unlatching the necklace and directing it around his neck. "i'm a guy who wears necklaces now," he grinned at her. he leaned forward once he secured the piece of jewelry, pecking nini's lips. "this was so thoughtful, thank you. i love it."

nini blushed a shade of fiery red, already loving where the night was heading. "i'm so glad."

___

the stars were paid actors that night, ricky and nini resting on their favorite blanket at the hollywood sign to enjoy them. "this really is the coolest telescope, this place," nini shared the analogy that had been on her mind. she didn't know what a true view of the stars was until she first came to this landmark.

"i agree," ricky was leaning backwards, propped on his elbows next to the picnic basket he had brought for the evening. "hey, i have some surprises, by the way."

nini jolted up from her lying down position, watching as ricky started to reach his hand into the picnic basket. she had always loved surprises. her brow rose when she saw ricky free a champagne bottle from the wicker basket. "where did you get that?" she laughed.

"i have my connections," ricky smirked, wiggling the bottle in the air.

"okay, so margo using her sister's id, then," nini solved the puzzle.

"i cannot confirm or deny that claim."

nini stole the bottle from ricky's hands swiftly with a giggle. she was a fan of the clichés, and drinking champagne to celebrate milestones was one of the biggest ones. even though she purposefully stayed away from alcohol out of fear that her mothers' own dependence was in her dna somehow, nini felt beyond comfortable with ricky next to her. it was just an innocent celebration. there was nothing to be afraid of.

so, nini popped the bottle over the grass, careful of any spillage that would result from the opening. "cheers to one year," she rose the bottle in the air, ricky scoffing with shock as he watched the girl down her first sip.