Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature

Start from the beginning

Huaisang's voice was garbled and then with another loud rustle, it sharpened. "Sorry A-Yao. You were asleep."

"Nie Huaisang...did you use the portal talisman to get here?" Meng Yao demanded suddenly. "Why? That's so dangerous! Why didn't you call me? What's happened? Does Da Ge know you're here?"

Portal talisman! Lan Xichen's brows rose sharply in shock. Nie Mingjue looked gutted even as shoulders relax incerementally, but Lan Xichen knew he was reeeling a little. THings were so bad, Huaisang used a high energy drain talismna to escape...thankfully he went to Meng Yao, who would always welcome Huaisang with open arms.

If he was honest, Lan Xichen ahd always been a little jealous of that. He suspected Nie Mingjue was as well, for entirely different reasons. A-Yao had defended Huaisang against the Jin and since then, Mingjue had been proactively strengthening their friendship again.

"It was that or die. Don't worry. I'm going back." Nie Huaisang's voice was hard, cold. It sent a drop of fear into Lan Xichen's belly, the idea that there was far more going on that a fist fight gone wrong. 

Mingjue's expression turned alarmed instantly.

"I've waited a long time for this opportunity." He added. "I just need a place for a few hours."

"You are not going anywhere in this state." Meng Yao snapped, sounding for once, irritated. "And what do you mean die? "

There was the sound of a box opening and packaging being opened. Nie Huaisang hissed and Meng Yao made a soothing noise. "What happened?" Meng Yao asked gently.

"It doesn't matter."

A classic shutdown and it had a scowl on Nie Mingjue's face in seconds.

"Someone cutting you with a knife is something that matters A-Sang." Meng Yao said in an almost warning tone.

What?! Lan Xichen clutched Mingjue's wrist and his friend stared in anger at the phone.

"No one would believe me anyway. What's the point?" Nie Huaisang shot back. "I just have to get through the next day and then at the big event, they can know the truth."

"Are you whistleblowering A-Sang?" Meng Yao asked, sounding not the least bit surprised. "And I would believe you."

"You're not Nie Sect." Nie Huaisang told him almost sadly. "And its Da Ge I have to convince. When I do...its all over A-Yao. Its better you stay out of it."

Lan Xichen looked at Nie Mingjue who looked just as disturbed as he felt.