Chapter 4: Morning, Comrade!

Start from the beginning

"Tartaglia," Elizabeth heard Kaeya warn when he interrupted her rambling.

"I'm just getting some food together," he shrugged with a smirk, then patted Evan's head as the boy sat up, pouting on the floor. Elizabeth watched him climb up onto the couch, but it was not him she was interested in. What interested her was her older brother's deadly glare at her. She could see him out of the corner of her eye, but when she turned to lock eyes with him, he averted his gaze completely. Furrowing her eyebrows, she blinked in confusion.

"You okay, 'Lizabeth?" Kaeya asked, bouncing her with one knee.

She perked back up, happy to have his attention, "Sorry, I'm fine!"

"Good, 'cause I'm not. Up!" he threw her into the air, catching her under her shoulders, "I couldn't breathe with you on me."

Giggling, she gasped, "Wow...Mr. Kaeya, you can't comment on a woman's weight! Mum said that's rude!"

"Well, it's a good thing you're under my watch for the time being. I can make all the comments I want," he replied as he placed her down, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Just don't disrespect our Mum," Michael added condescendingly.

"Mike," Kaeya shot him a snarky smirk, "I forgot you were there."

His face reddened at the dig, but he ignored it, heading for the bathroom once again.

"I'm gonna go brush my hair, no one bother me like you usually do."

"Nobody wants to!" Kaeya called after him, and he growled, then slammed the bathroom door behind him. The man snickered, and Evan tugged on his sleeve.

"If you make him mad, he'll be awful."

Kaeya snorted, "Trust me, kid, I already know."

As they stepped closer to the kitchen, Childe beckoned them in, excited about the dish he was making. He told them its Snezhnayan origins while he sprinkled spices over it.

"I thought you were just making fried eggs," Kaeya commented, pushing Elizabeth away from the stove where she was trying to sneak a taste.

"I decided to be fancy, comrade," he replied, mimicking a posh-like accent.

It felt almost familial, the four of them spending time together in the kitchen on an early morning. And while that thought made Kaeya want to run fast and far, Childe cherished it. Oh, how he missed days like these back in his hometown. It would be impossible to return, not with his history with the Fatui. Someone would find him, he knew it. He settled for letters back and forth with his family, and their empty promises to visit him in Liyue. Deep down, he knew his parents wanted to keep his siblings away from him, to prevent them from going back down the same path he had, but he still kept hope that someday Anthon's letters stating 'Mom said we can come see you soon!' would be true. He said Teucer was growing up to look just like his big brother Ajax, and Ajax wanted nothing more than to see that fact for himself. Knowing his siblings were growing up without him made him feel like there was a burning flame in his chest, and he was ready to run home into their arms as soon as humanly possible.

Taking in a deep breath, he shook his head. He couldn't get upset right now; he had an example to set for two young kids.

And also, a table.

He put various silverware and napkins down, then handed everyone a plate, leaving one at the head of the table for Michael. The children began chewing ravenously as soon as the food was put in front of them.

"This is really good," Evan mused quietly, and Childe chuckled while Kaeya flicked a piece of the boy's food off of his pajama shirt.

"Like I always say, Snezhnaya never disappoints."