Chapter 1 - Room 245

Miles

"Thank you for coming in late Agent Hossler." Spoke Agent Hossler's handler, Agent Troy Hyde.

"Yeah well, I've had a lot of time since I was removed from the Budapest mission," Miles replied in a cool and professional manner despite him feeling pissy about waking up earlier than usual to come into work.

"Yes as I read from your paperwork you've been put onto recovery protocol from a concussion and a broken rib."

It wasn't the first broken ribs Miles had cracked before. And he doubted it'd be his last. After being in the field for almost 5 years you're bound to get a few injuries. Or a lot. And if you're Miles then expect to go into a mission fine and come out bruised.

"Then you read correctly because my rib is broken and my headache is a bitch. So why am I here? I still have 2 weeks of rest." Miles couldn't keep the irritation out of his tone.

He was annoyed, and yes he loved the thrill of his job and loved punching the shit out of people especially since he got paid for it. What he didn't like was people telling him what to do. Especially when his handler called him at an unholy goddamn hour to talk mission while he still had 2 weeks to nothing but basically sleep.

If he was being honest he was hoping to get a woman, maybe one of the juniors and have his way around her.
They were usually easy to convince. His rank was talked about and made him feel more respected.

While he did have injuries, they didn't exactly prevent him from having sex. He learned that a long time ago.

"Because I know that you're doing nothing but sleeping around with the junior agents and I need you for a mission," Hyde told him with a knowing glance about the women part.

Truth be told because that was exactly what Miles was during the time he had time off and was placed on bed rest. But it was only one girl. He memorized everything she told about herself before and after they slept together. Agent Mira Reed, rank 3. He also noted that she was part of the extraction teams and he'd mistakenly be counting on her to save his ass during a mission gone south.

Due to his injuries, it was protocol for agents to take time off to heal and all the boring shit protocol says about recovery.

When Miles first started as an agent, he took recovery time seriously but now... Not so much. He'd been through the recovery protocol too many times to count, and now his body was practically used to being broken, beaten, and fucking bruised.

"That is not a lie. But I'm going to ask politely sir, why the hell did you call me at 5:00 in the goddamn morning?"

'Foul language' was what their relationship consisted of. Hyde had been Miles's handler for all of his missions since the beginning of his career. It made Miles consider Hyde a trusted ally and friend to him. One of his favourite parts of the relationship was the fact that he didn't need to censor his language, the only time he had to was when a higher rank was present in the room. Which was rare considering he wasn't the favorite around the place. While he always completed the mission it's just his tactics weren't always approved by everyone else.

"I saw an opportunity for you to get higher on the food chain," Hyde replied calmly from the coffee he probably consumed and referenced a promotion rank.

This perked Miles's attention. He was always looking for ways to improve himself. Whether it was a new fitness routine or a new fighting style he would do it if it meant improvement. And Hyde knew this.

"I'm listening." Miles said in interest.

"The mission is undercover," Hyde said slowly and started waiting for a negative reaction from Miles.

But Miles did nothing. Gave nothing away about what his emotions were at that second.
He just sat there waiting for Hyde to continue talking.

"It's long-term. And you'll need to infiltrate a company you'll be working for undercover with a female agent posing as your wife." Hyde said trying to see how up Miles was for the mission he was explaining.

But all Miles could think about was the fact that he was gonna be undercover for a while, and with a woman and having to act married. Even if it was fake it was the closest commitment to women he's ever had. He'd have to restart a new life and leave it behind when the mission was over.

"But if you complete the mission successfully you get to move up to level 6 clearance."

That sold the deal. Miles was only at level 5. And having more clearance was not a bad thing. Plus he'd probably end up taking the lead of the mission and his success rate has been high, so he didn't have much to worry about.

"I'll take the mission." He said determinedly for the new rank.

"Excellent I go tell the council. And while I do that,  go find your partner for the mission in room 245. She'll give you more details."

"Wait a second, is she getting the same rank as me?"

Because if so then the rank wouldn't feel as special. Not that it would matter he'd still get it in the end without a doubt. It was a stupid question but he still wanted an answer regardless.

"I don't know if I can say, agent," Hyde replied to Miles unsure how much he could provide.

That piqued his interest for the second time in the unholy early morning.

"Tell me what you can," Miles said wanting to get some information about his unknown partner.

"She is also receiving a rank if the mission is successful."

That wasn't the answer he wanted exactly, but it was an answer.

"I'm going to go now. Unless you've changed your mind in the last 2 minutes?" Hyde asked Miles.

"Nope, I'll go talk to her. Which room again?"

"245."

Miles left the room with Hyde and spilt up before walking into room 245.
The first thing he noticed was a female as expected.

She had long wavy black hair and was tipping her chair back against the table from the boredom of waiting for him to arrive.

It was reckless if you were to ask his more professional side of himself. But that'd be hypocritical because he knew he do it himself if he were bored.

She must've sensed him because in a quick motion she dropped her feet from the table she was tipping against and turned around to meet him.

Quick eye contact was made before she spoke first.

"Oh your my partner." She arched her eyebrow at him and her tone was filled with judgement and disappointment was washed all over her face. If this was how she masked disappointment she'd need a lot of work done. Because Miles got a read on her emotions quickly.

But he also found himself guilty in smirking at her disappointment.

This will be interesting. He thought to himself.

AN
i kinda cringe when I reread this. Because this was so rushed and just didn't make that much sense. I am smh.

PREVIEW

"I'm your fake wife. I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not actually gonna marry you."