The Crash

Melting The Ice (Iceland x Depressed!Reader) 2

You buckled up into your seat after the stereotypically beautiful flight attendant made the announcement that you were about to take off. She said there was nothing to worry about, explaining just how safe you were and that the flight was nothing more than a normal every day occurrence and that the passengers have nothing to fear. She probably made that speech all the time.

After announcing that all electronics needed to be turned off and telling everyone safety precautions in case something bad were to have happened, the flight attendant walked up into the cockpit, and that was the last we saw of her until the plane was up in the air. You heard the familiar rumbling that the plane made and then the whole thing lurched forward. You heard the uneasy voices of several people nearby, but so far, nothing unusual was happening. The plane accelerated, gaining speed until it began to lift off of the ground and into the atmosphere. This was your favorite part about flying in an airplane. You looked out the window that you were sitting next to. The view was spectacular. The angle of the plane was allowing you to see a forest of trees and a couple of small houses. Even the simplest things could make you happy. You were, for some reason, exhilarated.

~Timeskip~

You had spent an hour on the flight, and so far everything had been going smoothly. You had brought your iPod with you and had taken a small little nap. The plane had jolted. You were wide awake now. The whole flight was in a frenzy. Passengers were going insane. There was screaming, shouting, hysteria. The flight attendants were trying to calm everyone down, but even they themselves seemed terrified. The boy that you had been sitting next to was wide awake now, and his brown eyes were wide. You decided to speak up.

“U-Uh… E-Excuse me…. What’s g-going on?” You asked, a bit scared about his answer.

“We’re all gonna die…” He said, not even looking at you.

“W-What?!” You squeaked. ‘This guy’s insane!!’ He finally looked you right in the eyes.

“Something went wrong… T-They overlooked something… There’s a problem with the engine… The plane is gonna go down….” He said slowly, as if hearing it for the first time, even though it was coming from his mouth.

“N-No way….” You said in disbelief. You looked outside the window. Your vision was greeted by darkness and then you checked the time. It looked like you were supposed to be at your destination already. As if reading your mind, the boy turned to you.

“We’re over the country but we’re not going to make it to the airport. We’re going to crash.” He stated. All of this finally began to sink in. You were going to die. Arthur was right after all. You gave a half-hearted chuckle which then turned into a grimace. All of the sudden, the airplane started shaking. People that had gotten up in the midst of the chaos were being thrown towards the back of the plane. You could feel the plane beginning to turn its nose to the ground. You squeezed your eyes shut and gripped the armrest as hard as you could. Death would come easily. That was it. You heard screaming, but you remained silent. You saw people squirming and making wide movements, but you remained still. You were ready. Suddenly, yourvision turned white and you felt immense pain all over your body. You heard the loudest of noises in all of your life as the plane suddenly collided with the vast land, but it didn’t stop there, no. You were still alive. You heard the shredding of metal, the screams of people in pain, yours among them. You were greatly injured. You were thrown from the plane and hit the ground with a crack and a thud. You tried to move and you screamed.

“AHHHHH!!!!” It came out mangled. Animalistic. It was your cry for help. You opened your eyes slowly. It definitely wasn’t day. It was night, and you were freezing. The snowstorm hadn’t blown over yet. You wanted it to end. Your body felt as if it had been torn apart and then pieced back together. No painkillers. Just the one dim light of hope in the back of your mind that screamed that there might have been a chance that someone might save you. Yeah right. You gave out painful cries, but all you heard was silence. You craned your neck to look at the wreckage, which was now smoking. Those people that were screaming along with you were either dead, or they simply couldn’t scream anymore.

You felt so cold and alone. You were sobbing, and you couldn’t move. This was the worst feeling. It brought you back to  that one December, when your life had been altered. God had already spared you once. Why would He do it again? You felt the need to give up. You could already feel your body temperature dropping. You knew it was only a matter of time. The pain soon got so unbearable that you couldn’t even feel it anymore. You felt your eyelids starting to get heavy.

~Flashback!~

You walked across the same street that had almost claimed your life a year ago. You came to remember it the last day of every month. Sometimes you cried. Sometimes you got angry. Sometimes you just laid there, remembering. Arthur had told you to stop and you would. This would be the last time. You remembered everything in detail. Your (e/c) eyes started to tear up, but you refused to cry. Today would be the day when you let the memories go. You let go of the memories of your parents. They abused you at the age of 7. They quit feeding you at the age of 10. They abandoned you at the age of 14. All of the feelings that you kept inside about them; you let all of them go now. You let go the memories of the people that had betrayed you on the streets. They mocked you. They took what little food you could find. They hurt you. You let those feelings go too, like setting free wild birds from very small cages. This process continued until you had emptied your heart, soul, and mind of everything that had hurt you. You left that alleyway numbly and walked home. Arthur met you at the door.

“(Y/n)!!! Where have you been?! Were you in that bloody alleyway again?! How many tim-” He started, but you cut him off.

“I was saying goodbye.” You said bluntly, with no emotion. This would be you for a while. You would feel nothing, but for Arthur’s sake, you would at least pretend to laugh and smile. You looked at Arthur and smiled.

“You don’t have to worry about me going there anymore. I’m okay.” You said.

“…Alright then, love. If that’s what you say…” He trailed off. He could tell that you were empty on the inside, but he chose to let you deal with that. ‘There are some things that refuse to be fixed…’ He thought. From then until you were a young adult, your entire interior being was made of ice. Your heart was frozen solid and yet every day you had a warm smile on your face. It was your ultimate disguise. The ice, you felt, protected you, and you knew that the smile would keep even the person that could see right through your disguise, from melting the ice.

~End of Flashback!~

“P-Please… If no one can save…. Me…. L-Let me…. Die….” You breathed out weakly. The last thing you could register before you blacked out was the sound of heavy footsteps and two crystal blue eyes filled with concern staring down at you.