Prologue

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!!!"

"Yes!!!"

Your decision was final. You were going to go to Iceland. Your friend, Arthur had thrown a fit when he found out that you were taking the long trip from England to Iceland. This was his final effort to get you not to go. Here. In the airport. With tons of people watching his tantrum. He turned to the side, arms crossed and a very red, very angry expression on his face. You sighed and put your hand on his shoulder.

"Artie, seriously, I'll be fine! I'm not a kid anymore, okay? I can clearly take care of myself. Besides, I'll only be gone for a couple of weeks. I promise I'll come home soon." You said reassuringly. The lingering spectators quickly moved on. Arthur Kirkland was like a big brother to you. When you were younger, your parents had abandoned you. Starving and lonely, you tried living on the streets, but as a kid, you were already weak enough as it was.

~

A much smaller you roamed the frozen streets of London in an effort to find a little bit of shelter. It was the middle of December, and you could barely feel your legs due to the stinging cold that numbed them. 'Just a little more, (y/n)...' You tried to encourage yourself. But, as much as you wanted to believe that it would end soon - that your parents would come back and that you would be warm again - you knew it would never happen. You crossed the street carelessly and slowly stumbled with little footsteps into a small, dark, narrow alleyway. You knew; this was it. Your knees wobbled and then buckled under the weight of your tiny, frail body. You fell, curled up into a ball, and shook.

"Please... Just let it be over soon... Please... Please..." You spoke softly, pleading with Death itself to just take you. You closed your eyes, hoping it would make a difference. After a couple of moments of just laying there, slowly freezing to death, you heard a voice nearby.

"Oh my god..." The voice had run off. It then grew louder. "Love! Sweetheart, are you quite alright? What are you doing out here all alone in the cold?" You mustered enough strength to simply open your eyes. The man wasn't tall, but he wasn't short. He had wavy, long-ish blonde hair, inviting, emerald green eyes, and a warm, comforting smile. His eyebrows, once they caught your attention, which did not take long, made you want to laugh. They were so thick! The thickest you had ever seen! They reminded you of caterpillars. You managed a tiny laugh at the thought, but then went into a coughing fit as a result, which concerned the nice man with a British accent even more. He mumbled a string of unintelligible curses under his breath.

"I'm getting you out of here..." You finally heard him say; you had closed your eyes again. He picked you up gently, but firmly. You snuggled into his chest, in an attempt to regain some of your lost warmth. He shivered as you slipped out of consciousness.

"You're... So cold."

~

After that day, Arthur had taken care of you and provided you with everything you needed. As far as you were concerned, he really was your older brother. You gave a slight giggle at his defeated and slightly sad expression. You pecked his cheek lightly.

"See you soon, Artie." You said reassuringly with a bright, confident smile, and turned around to go through the flight safety check. You knew that he was just overly protective. That one day, so long ago, you had been permanently damaged. Your body temperature was lower than most due to some inexplicable reason, and it never failed that you were always cold. It could be 85⁰ Fahrenheit outside and you would be inside with a sweater on and a blanket wrapped around your body, sipping from hot cocoa like it was Christmas time. You figured, though, that you would be okay going to Iceland. Although the name implied that it would have been something close to a tundra, the climate there was actually fairly temperate. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of winter and the country was currently enduring a fierce snowstorm. That was what Arthur was worried about. It was true that you were 19 years old, but you still had a medical condition that could be lethal during this time of year. To be honest, even you were just a little nervous.

You took in a deep breath before proceeding to take off your shoes, empty your pockets and any metal, put your luggage on the conveyor belt, and walk through the scanner. You were in the clear. You smiled at the employees and took your bags and accessories. You easily navigated your way to the waiting area for the flight you were about to take. You felt your phone vibrate in your pocket the minute you sat down on the bench. Of course. It was Arthur.

So you promise me you'll be safe?

You chuckled. Sometimes he could be so stubborn and persistent.

Yes, I do, Mr. Worrisome Tsundere~!

You waited a couple of seconds, knowing he had seen it.

I AM NOT TSUNDERE!!! I think you've been spending too much time with Kiku...

You face-palmed, although grinning.

Arthur, you denying being tsundere automatically makes you tsundere. And also, never! One can never spend too much time with Kiku! ^7^

You waited another couple of seconds.

No, it does... whatever. =_= We'll discuss that other matter when you get back, miss.

You rolled your eyes.

Wow, so looking forward to that conversation, dear brother, Artie, I already feel so enlightened.

Are you being sarcastic?

Nooooo...

Goddamn it, (y/n).

Haha. Gotta go, the plane's about to start boarding. We'll talk soon!

You slipped your phone into your back pocket as you got up from the bench. The sophisticated ring of the intercom came to life, calling passengers for your plane to start boarding. You walked quickly to the gate entrance and walked down the corridor. As you neared the entrance of the plane, you turned your phone completely off. You got in and found your numbered seat, which next to a young man who was already sleeping in the window seat, his headphones blocking out all of the pre-flight noise. You sat next to him, in the middle, trying not to jostle anything too much so you wouldn't wake him up. He opened one eye, slightly curious as to who was sitting next to him, and then he closed it again once he solved the mystery. You sighed. You knew one thing for sure. This was going to be a very long trip. Little did you know, that it might also serve as your very last.