Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

    Juan Amaya looked around the office.  While it clearly showed the man had a great deal of money, he found it a bit overdone for his tastes.  Had he known the word, he would have called it ostentatious.  Amaya was smart, but largely self-taught, and there were certain gaps in his vocabulary.  His native intelligence had served him well, but he was acutely aware of not having much by way of formal education, and worked to improve himself as he could.  He accepted the secretary’s offer of coffee as he waited.  After a few more minutes, the doors opened again and Geraldo Cardoza entered.  “My apologies for keeping you waiting.  I prefer not to waste time, but I was detained on another matter.”

    Amaya nodded, saying nothing.  He’d read several variations on the phrase “It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt,” and certainly had no desire to strike this man as foolish.  He knew that Mr. Cardoza was fairly high up in the cartel’s management; how high he wasn’t sure. 

    “Let me be frank with you, Amaya.  You handled the situation with the Calderons well.  You showed initiative, imagination, and discretion.  I have not heard anything of you bragging about your success.  Sometimes, your reward for doing a good job is to be given a harder one.”

    Amaya waited, sipping his coffee.  So far, there was nothing that Cardoza had said that required comment, so he made none.  “One of our employees greatly overstepped himself recently.  He created a complicated, unfortunate situation.  We have taken steps to discipline him, but the repercussions continue.  While he did not have our authority to take the action he did, his failure has made us appear weak.  This is something we can’t permit, as I’m sure you can imagine.”

    Amaya nodded again.  All of what he said made sense.  Amaya had heard bits of this story already, and initially thought he might be asked to deal with Jorge Lopez, but from what he had just heard, that matter had been dealt with.  He wasn’t sure now why he was here, but was glad he had not spoken up earlier.

    Cardoza went on.  “These policemen who captured our men are not like you.  They boast of what they have done, talk to reporters over whom we have no control.  If these people were regular policemen, part of their departments as normal, there would be little we could do.  But we have learned that all of these officers are not in good favor with their employers.  They are alone, unsupported, and isolated.  That may change in time, after what has happened, but for now, it is still so.  We can punish these men for what they did, for moving against us as they have.  We wish you to do this for us.”  Cardoza pulled a file out of his desk drawer.  “This is what we have learned about them so far.  Take it and let us know what else you will need to know.”

    Amaya thought for a few moments, and looked at Mr. Cardoza.  “I will need some time to plan.  I have never tried something this complicated.  I may need more resources.  I will be as thorough as I can, but if I need things I can not provide for myself, who do I ask for them?”

    Cardoza kept a neutral look on his face.  “Are you saying you can’t do this?”

    “I am saying I will need special resources to go after several armed policemen on the other side of the border.  If I told you I could do it without thinking about it, looking into it, I would be lying.  Is that what you wish?”

    Cardoza laughed.  “Very good, Amaya.  You are honest.  I will give you a phone number.  When you have your list, or additional questions, you call this man, and he will meet with you and find out what you require.  Obviously, we would prefer you to be judicious with your expenses, but success is more important than economy.  If you succeed you will be well rewarded.”  The threat about failure went unspoken, but was clearly understood by both men.