xXx

Tears fell from my face as I ran, blindly letting the path in front of me lead the way out of the catacombs and up to the surface. The thought of Erik's traps crossed my mind, but the thought of him throwing himself away from me only made me want to run faster.

'He only cares about her,' my mind screamed in pain, 'He doesn't see you in the way that he sees her. He never will.'

Just keep running.

Just keep running.

Before I knew it, out of sheer luck it seemed, I found a small door and burst through it, shutting the door behind me. The bright, golden light of the foyer blinded me and I shielded my eyes, gasping as I stumbled back into the door which had seemed to disappear entirely, as if it had never been there at all.

Suddenly I heard screaming. I blinked and tried to look around, before I was tackled by a pair of arms.

"Ragazza stupida! Sei un vero idiota! Come hai potuto andartene in quel modo! Pensavo che il fantasma ti avesse ucciso! Quello che è successo? Ti ha ferito?" she said, looking me up and down, lifting my arms and checking me all over, "Lo giuro su Dio se ti mette un dito su di te, lo darò la caccia e lo ucciderò io stesso, il bastardo!" Screamed Carlotta in my ear as she grabbed me again and hugged me to death, "Oh, I'll kill you! Don't ever do that to me again, I swear! I thought you were done for! A goner!"

I chuckled and squeezed her back, tears still running down my face, "It's ok, Carlotta, I'm fine! He didn't hurt me I swear!" I wiped my face and looked around. I had found myself at the side of the grand staircase. There must be a hidden door in the wall that goes under them.

"Lo ucciderò! Giuro che lo ucciderò!"

I pulled Carlotta away from me, "Hey, hey, Carlotta! It's ok! I'm fine, he didn't hurt me! He let me go, I'm fine."

She sniffed, her makeup running down her face, "You are ok? You swear?"

I nodded, "I promise. He didn't lay a finger on me." Probably a lie, but at this point I didn't care. I was tired and emotionally and mentally drained, and really needed some time to think about this whole ordeal. Carlotta screaming and crying over me was not going to help.

"Where iz your mask?" Carlotta asked.

My hand flew to my head and I found that my mask was indeed gone. I must have dropped it back in the catacombs.

I shrugged, "Must have misplaced it. I'm sorry, Carlotta. I'm sure it was really expensive."

Carlotta shrugged and waved her hand, "Don't worry about et. Zee important thing iz that you are ok."

I looked around and moved out into the foyer, noticing that the once full room was now deserted, "Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Zee moment zee Phantom took you, everyone except for Umbaldo, zee Patron, zee managerz, leetle Daae, and zee Giry's ran. After dat everyone else left to look for you."

I turned around and looked up the stairs, then slowly began to make my way up them, Carlotta following me close behind. I stopped once I reached the landing, staring at the golden piano.

"Do..." I turned to Carlotta, a tear running down my face, "Do you think you can give me a few minutes? Maybe you could go get the managers and tell them I'm ok? I asked, "I... I think I need a moment to.. to think. And to be alone."

At first, Carlotta looked hesitant, then her face softened and she nodded slowly, "Of course. I'll be back shortly. Don't you dare go anywhere." she said, pointing a finger at me as she backed down the stairs.