Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Siege

Start from the beginning

Which wasn't exactly fair because Din was even closer to the edge than you were...

You rolled your eyes... but grinned nevertheless.

"That's it." Karga lifted a finger, gesturing towards a control panel that hardly left any room to step on in order to reach it. "Get on the reactor controls, drain the coolant lines. We'll watch the doors."

Mythrol stood there, unsure. "...Me?"

"Yes, you!"

"I'm afraid o' heights! And heat. And... lava."

Karga's impatience was displaying all over his expression. "How about if I put ya back in carbonite? Get over there!"

Complaining to himself along the way, Mythrol stepped onto the ledge with quivering legs and dealt with the control panel.

"Hey," Din's voice quietly rung out, capturing your attention. You turned to find him holding out a commlink in front of him, and you immediately realized the kid had commed him. So he did remember how to use it. "How's your first day at school?" That earned a response from the Child—a series of prattling and cooing, and while Din couldn't understand him, he most definitely pretended he could. "Oh, yeah? That's great. What else did you learn about?"

You chuckled at that, but before you could listen to their interaction any further, a harsh eruption sounded behind you. You whipped around to find the Mythrol had succeeded and the lava was bubbling upwards too quickly for your comfort. Din had to end his conversation with the kid while his attention returned to the task at hand. "Alright, she's gonna blow!" The Mythrol shouted, rushing off the ledge. "Let's go! Let's get outta here!"

Everyone had escaped first, and—of course—Din had stayed behind until each person passed him to ensure everyone left securely. "How much time do we have?" you questioned, sprinting besides everyone else.

Karga replied first, "Ten minutes, at the most."

An alarm blaring obnoxiously had blown your cover. Now everyone in the building knew something was completely wrong, and that intruders had broken in—which meant that on top of those ten minutes, you also needed to avoid stormtroopers at all costs. After another scare, fearing the troopers would find you guys, everyone had made it safely to a room. It was never planned to stop here, but after killing off both Imps that stood by the control panel, you couldn't help but stop and take a look at the vile sight before you. Within a wall seemed to be... tanks. Tanks filled with water and bodies. The bodes were unrecognizable to you, as they didn't resemble any species you've ever seen in your life. They were definitely not humans, either. But they were dead. That was all you could possibly conclude about them. They were never moved a muscle—they didn't open their eyes, twitch, shift, nothing. All they did was float within their tanks, as if they had been abandoned or discarded.

Perhaps because they were test subjects?

The look of confusion on your features grew as you slowly continued to approach them. "What the hell are these...?"

"I thought you said this was a forward operating base," Cara said. It was a forward operating base. That's exactly what Karga said, but this... this doesn't make much sense.

"I thought it was," was the only response Karga could muster.

"No, this isn't a military operation. This is a lab," Cara deduced, her guess sounding reasonable to your ears. "We need to get into the system and figure out what's going on."

"What about the reactor—"

Cara stopped the Mythrol before he could finish. "Do it! Do it."

He paused for a split second, before nodded once and began searching through the control panels and datapads.