Chapter Ten: The Vanish

Chapter Ten: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖛𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖘𝖍.
word count; 8.4k

The quiet and serene sky hanging over your exhausted figure did wonders to wind you down after the stress that accompanied a long, tiring day filled with training inexperienced villagers. The circular mammoth moon illuminated the scenario, as well as reflecting blissfully off the tranquil waters of the freshwater lake ahead of you, the calm waves gently distorting the roundness of the moon. Delicate fog entirely enveloped the Sorganese land, as usual after the sun falls and is replaced by the moon. The stars above, as minuscule white pinpricks in the sky, glistened perfectly even through the clouds slightly obstructing them from view.

Despite the fact that you should most definitely be asleep right now, you happened to be resting here, immersing yourself in the serenity of residing silently on the ground. A faint breeze caused for the moderately tall grass to tickle the skin of your arms, yet that was pretty much disregarded. You were sorta in the state between zoning out and being overly pensive over particular issues raiding your mind, threatening to dominate what damned feelings you were attempting to neglect.

Already, your training with the villagers had already surpassed a week, nearing in on two weeks. Admittedly, you were overwhelmed by anxiety due to the fact that the day your ambush on the raiders was nearing rapidly, barely leaving sufficient time to prepare yourself for such a risky battle. There were a million scenarios replaying in your mind—the grand majority of them being that you'd fail, that someone would die, you'd end up killed, Mando would end up killed, the Child would no longer be in the safety of your protections...

But it was probably best to keep those pestering thoughts out of your mind, right? Right.

The quiet sound of dirt crunching underneath boots and the slight clanking of armor was enough for you to recognize who was approaching you. The beskar-clad figure of Mando appeared in your peripheral vision, and you eyed him from the corner of your sight as he settled himself down right besides your own body sitting in the grass. Your shoulder pressed up against the cold and rigid pauldron, yet you wouldn't dare pull away from him. Instead, your desire was, surprisingly enough, to lean into him, though that will was immediately shoved away from your mind.

"Why're you up this late?"

The gentle sound of his modulate voice rung out through the silence of the moonlit night. Despite that you weren't exactly facing him—instead observing the lake and the dark sky ahead—you could feel his gaze studying you intently.

"The real question is, why are you up this late?" You answered, completely dodging his question and refusing to reply to it. That inquiry was floating around in your mind, after all. Normally, if he had the chance to catch some sleep, he'd take advantage of that opportunity as soon as possible. "You're always asleep as soon as the sun goes down. Kinda suspicious, to be honest..."