025

025. 𝗱𝗲𝗻𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝗶𝘀 𝗱𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀,
𝗶𝗴𝗻𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗹𝗶𝘀𝘀.

    𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐈 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 when she found herself sitting in front of Will Byers, in the dim living room of the Byers house. She was on a rocking chair, sitting with her knees apart, her elbows perched on them with her hands folder together. Her back was hunched over and she was sitting a few feet away, respectfully. The house was dim and quiet— all that could be heard was the small chatter between Mike and Max in the kitchen.

    Everyone was organizing into their jobs. Hopper had gone outside to clear the shed, Jonathan was with his mom for the time being— somewhere around— Dustin and Lucas were gathering trashbags and heading outside to search through the garbage cans. After the plan was set, it was now in motion -- but nobody mentioned a job to Lori. So, as everyone smoothed into their tasks, she took a seat in the living room without anyone noticing.

    She sat now, looking at Will. The stories played over in her head, and she caught herself imagining him walking through the 'Upside Down'— thinking of everything he'd been through. He was the center of it all. Of all the stories and all the insanity. And now this, sleeping on the couch by force of sedation, because he was a spy for the Mindflayer. She couldn't help but feel sorry for him. And as she sat there, looking at the kid from a close distance, she wanted to know what he was like without all of... this. She couldn't imagine a boy like Will having all of this happen to him, but there he was, right in front of her.

    She wished then, that he was without all of this madness, so she could really meet him.

    "Philbs?" Steve's voice came from behind her. Quiet and soft.

    Lori took a second more to look at Will, her eyes softening somberly. Slowly, she turned her head around, and didn't stay anything. Her eyes caught Steve's.

    "You wanna, uh, come help me in the shed?" he said, carefully. He glanced to the back door, "Hopper said two of us should start out with the tarps, then we're all gonna get it ready,"

    He was standing at the living room entrance, his hands folded on top of one another. Slowly, he took small steps, each one slower than the last.

    She narrowed her eyebrows every so slightly, "I thought Nancy was out there already," she said, with a small tilt of her head.

    Steve cleared his throat, and looked down. Clearly, he was aiming not to mention that.

    Lori placed her elbow on the arm of the rocking chair, turning her torso to face him. "Are you avoiding your ex-girlfriend?" she said, with a small, airy laugh.

    "Duh," he said, obviously not joking.

    Lori pushed herself up to stand and turned to him. "That's quite the impossible task, Harrington," she said, honestly. "I mean, we're all in the same group fighting demons now, so."

    He looked away from her, off to the side as he chewed on the inside of his lip. She slowly stepped forward, until they were a few feet apart.

    "You should talk to her." she said, her voice low. And honest now.

    Steve looked down at his feet. After a moment, he nodded, but it was barely visible.

    "Have you guys even spoken since she dumped you," Lori said, squinting her eyes.

    "Just say broke up, please," he shut his eyes, wincing.

    "Whatever," she almost rolled her eyes. "Have you?"