Chapter 12: The Vampire's Acceptance

Start from the beginning

I guess I drank a little more than I usually did last night. Sighing to myself once more, I pulled my blanket off once again—repeating an old process I'd thought to have forgotten.

With the blanket wrapping me, I went in search of Miranda.

"Viki?" Miranda tilted her head in confusion. She caught me in the middle of the hall. "What happened? Did you take it off?"

"It" most likely meant diaper. I shook my head as that wasn't the case.

"I see," she gave a concerned look. "Well, let me help you prepare for the day."

"Thanks," I nodded. Without hesitation, Miranda picked me off the floor.

Today didn't feel any different, but the results of the day before held me in silence. I didn't feel any need to converse with Miranda, mother, or even father. In fact, my father told me to take a break from our vampire practice.

Studying felt empty as well. I wasn't sure if I was even learning the subjects I read. It was almost like I stared at a blank wall for several hours. Unsure if and how to paint it.

Despite the empty progress in my day, time continued to proceed. My worries and anxiety skyrocketed with it being two.

"Knock, knock," Sounded the door. The door opened with my mother giving a plain expression. "It is time now."

Yes, time for my friends to tell me they hate me! No! They won't hate me...Gah! Trapped in my head, I followed behind my mother. She swiftly checked under my skirt to ensure I didn't need a change before taking my hand to depart for the moment of truth—daycare.

I wasn't sure why I sat at the table again. Perhaps I had grown accustomed to sitting at this table. But I knew I wouldn't be sitting here for much longer—so why should I have sat here in the first place?

With my book open, I stared at the same page for the entirety since I arrived. Unable to focus on any task, I even ignored Teresa's hands rummaging at my waist, determining I was dry. Everything felt like a blur.

The noise level increased, and so did my heart. "Badum, badum." My heart began pounding louder and louder.

I sat here for five minutes while the noise simmered into the rest of the environment, only to be left alone. There wasn't a need for me to check the room, as the sound told me all. A tear fell down my cheeks as I started to sob silently. They aren't here...No matter how hard I listened in, there was no distinguished audio distributed. No cheerful voice of Abbey or quiet throwbacks from Sharon. Just an empty space—at least to me.

So that's how it is then...Despite being far afraid to confront my friends after the day before, I felt utterly disappointed. All of my hope shattered. I don't want to give up on humans...but...I don't want to lose my friends...Ignoring my surroundings, even to my own body, warmth spread at my waist, and tears drenched my cheeks.

Ten minutes had gone by as I continued to sit alone. Teresa had given me a change that I wasn't even aware that I needed. However, that whole process even felt blank. She gave me a smile but a sign of worry at the same time.

With a clean diaper, I began ignoring even my book. I stared at the two seats in front of me despite them being empty.

With another tear down my cheek, a new sound entered the daycare. However, this wasn't a unique sound to me.

"Sorry, we're late!" Sounded Abbey.

"It's fine," Teresa responded. "I'm glad you could make it."