•~Chapter 3: Stay~•

Play the song/music for better experience with the story!

In my personal opinion this song really suits the ship of TanKana, but just listen to find out why :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Please...stay."

Those were the first words that came out of Kanao's mouth. She couldn't believe that she had decided to say something...and without her sand dollar!

They looked at each other for a little while, one getting lost in the other's eyes.

They realized they had been holding hands. The two teenagers let go in embarrassment, their faces turning red.

"Um...okay." Tanjiro said, after a long, awkward silence. "I'll stay."

They looked away from each other again, not knowing what to say. Kanao played with her hair in embarrassment, and Tanjiro looked away, scratching his neck.

Then, Tanjiro decided to break the silence.

"So...um...you like swimming a lot?" he began, gesturing to the water.

Kanao snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at the redhead shyly.

"Um...yes, I guess you could say that..." Kanao said slowly.

Tanjiro gave the girl a cherry blossom flower that floated through the air in front of the pair.

They stayed quiet after Tanjiro's last question.

As Tanjiro was about to ask her more, a sudden gust of wind interrupted him. He shivered, but Kanao seemed fine.

"It's getting cold...why don't you get out of the water?" he asked her, extending his hand out to help.

Kanao began to internally panic.

I can't get out of the water! He can't know I'm a mermaid! she thought to herself.

She looked out at the sunset.

"Umm...I actually should be getting home now!" she lied quickly, feeling bad she had to leave.

"...oh!" Tanjiro said, snapping out of his daze. "I could walk you home, if you like..."

Oh no...what do I do now? I can't get out of the water! Kanao thought to herself again, feeling conflicted.

"I...I'm okay!" she said suddenly. "I can swim home, since I live on a...a...beachside cottage!"

Tanjiro looked taken aback by her sudden exclamation.

"Goodbye!" Kanao squeaked, swimming away.

"Wait!" Tanjiro called out. "I didn't get your name! How am I going to find you again?"

But he was too late.

Kanao had already disappeared into the sunset.

—————🐚—————

Kanao's POV:

Oh gosh.

He must've thought I was so rude...

Swimming away like that...what is even wrong with me?!

And he looked so sad as I left...he was saying something, but I didn't even hear what he said!

And...

What's this racing feeling in my heart?

I've never felt it before...

Although...I just can't stop thinking of him...

The memories of his face keep swimming in my mind...

His reddish tinted eyes...