Chapter 4

Note: this chapter and the next few chapters would be very similar to "If I Got You"

Dedicated to Loortjuhh Sampurna2007 sidvi2113 and happily_zarrie

*Three years later*

Zayn's POV:

"Dr. Malik?" I groan before turning around.

"What is it Navya? I just finished a surgery and I really do need a break." I whined, because honestly I have been working for 20+ hours now and I just want to head home and have a nap.

"Zayn please." Somehow the urgency in her voice made me forget about my tiredness. "What happened?"

"There was a call from the police department," she spoke, heading towards the emergency room, and I obviously run after her. "They found someone from a building or something," We reach the E.R and an intern hands me the scrubs. "Anyways, they might need medical attention or something and unfortunately there is also a fire accident in a warehouse or something, across the city so most of the interns and doctors are over there. They need us there and you are coming with me." She says, not giving me a chance to speak before she's running towards the waiting ambulance outside. I sigh and run after her.

"Can you at least tell me where we are going?" I ask Navya, once we were seated inside.

"Well, I am sorry Dr. Malik if I haven't been paying attention to your geographical conveniences, I was too busy figuring out who to take with me." She snaps, rolling her eyes.

I chuckle and lean back, opening up a bag to check if we have all things. I couldn't sleep, obviously, so I just stared at Navya.

She is in her early 30, a savage Indian badass who is next in line for the position of Chief of Head Trauma at Willow Green General hospital. I met her 4 years ago when I was just an intern and I am proud to say that this women was my mentor for throughout these years. She is married to a wonderful woman named Tanvi (yes that's ne and my wifey😅) and has a 3 year old kid. I am single, unfortunately, 25 and live alone in an apartment 2 blocks away from the hospital.

I am still deep in my thoughts, when I have a sick feeling in my stomach. I sit straighter and place my hand on my stomach. Calm down Zayn. Deep breaths...

My thoughts are subsided when the ambulance comes to a halt. I was about to open the door, when I hear a gunshot. Followed by another, and another, and then it doesn't stop.

Both, me and Navya look at each other, petrified.

"Where have you brought us, Navi?"

I just wanted to go home to sleep...

+

After a few more shots, I stopped counting and just hoped that none of them would hit the thin walls of the ambulance.

I slowly peep outside, to see a police officer rushing towards the ambulance. I immediately open the door and jump out, helping Navya out.

"What's the situation?" I asked him, having to yell over the loud sounds of bullets.

"It has calmed down now. We have it under control." I nod, and turn around to grab the medical equipment and start running towards the warehouse.

"How many of you need medical attendance?" Navya asked, coming to a halt beside me. The way my heart was beating, I might need some medical attention myself...