Chapter 18: Amy Gets Us Up to Speed

Começar do início

Mephiles then ceased their handshake and bowed his head. He lifted his head back up and stared at Shadow over Honest's head, their hands still connected.

"Please excuse us, Shadow. The author and I must discuss some very delicate matters in private. I do hope you understand."

"I

"I... Don't, but go ahead," Shadow replied, unmoving.

As Mephiles pulled Honest into the room, the blond cat tilted her head back and regarded Shadow with a joyous face that completely contrasted the current atmosphere. "I'll be fine, Shadow. See you second period!" And with that, she was gone and sealed behind that unremarkable door with an unholy creature of pure darkness.

Mephiles... what kind of plan are you forming now? What do you want from me? What do you want from Honest?

Shadow was now walking along a shaded pathway between the buildings. He supposed that, although it was still early, it would be in his best interests to start walking towards his first period class. Just in case his inner monologue made him late.

This was all so confusing. When Mephiles's plan to kill Sonic failed, did he immediately move on to some other plan, a backup?

"I need only plant the seed of distrust for now. It's for your own good, I think you'll find."

What could Mephiles have to gain, other than the obvious, from making Shadow doubt Honest? The whole "join me Shadow" thing that went on in Sonic '06 couldn't be what he was aiming to do again, right? Mephiles wasn't dumb, and only a truly stupid person would attempt that a second time. When would he give that stuff a rest?

Another thing, who was in control here?

"As I entirely expected, Honest finally uncovered my true intentions for the student council about nine chapters ago. Ever since, instead of shutting me down, she's been using it as just another element of her grand plot."

This made it seem as though Honest was the mastermind, and that Mephiles was the one at the mercy of others here, especially with the addition of all that talk about truces, armies, and power struggles. After Mephiles's army dissolved overnight, Honest couldn't bear to "leave him defenseless like that", and they formed a truce, which Mephiles claimed was a little more than that. On top of that, when Honest mentioned the fact that Mephiles didn't have an army anymore, the personification of the absence of light actually appeared ashamed.

Okay, maybe Mephiles had succeeded. Shadow was doubting Honest, but also, he wasn't tempted in the slightest to join Mephiles.

"Huh?"

Suddenly Shadow stopped and lifted his head. There, several feet in front of him, stood the recolor from yesterday evening. He was blocking Shadow's path towards the building.

"Hello, Shadow... my brother."

"B-Brother?" Shadow stuttered.

"Yup," the Shadow lookalike confirmed, walking forward and closing the gap between them. "I'm Frank the Hedgehog. My creator told me about you... about us. We're family, and I was also told that you are struggling with something."