Ch.4-Leaving the infirmary

Ace was finally healthy enough to leave the infirmary, so with Ace's permission Marco decided to go to the mess hall for lunch. Ace could eat his fill and he could see some more members of the crew. If he went straight to the commanders table, the amount of people shouldn't be too overwhelming, plus he had already seen most of the commanders at least once.

"You ready to go-yoi?"
The merman stretched his arms towards Marco as answer. Picking him up with easy, he carried the merman bridal style through the ship. Ace would look around in wonder at everything around them, not having been in all the parts of the ship yet, but every time they would pass someone he would bury his face in Marco's chest. He didn't mind it at all, it was adorable.

All the crewmembers had been notified of the merman's presence and asked to remain calm in his presence because the merman seemed to not be too familiar or comfortable with new people. And that they were with over 600, didn't help.
Marco had been a bit afraid that even with the warnings some brothers wouldn't be able to contain their excitement. By some miracle it seemed that there was no need for worry, upon entering the mess hall the crewmembers remained seated and were relatively calm. Yes, there were whispers of "it's the merman" - "ooh look over there!" - "is that him?", ... but they weren't overly loud so it was okay.

Heading over to the commanders table he greeted everyone. Everyone gave Marco the usual greetings back and also welcomed the mer in a softer voice. Ace, who went into hiding again, very shyly turned his head before clicking at them. By now the commanders knew the sound kind of changed meaning on when used, but it often meant well and expressed happiness. This time it seemed to be used as a form of greeting, or this is what they thought, so they all gave a smile in return. Ace however immediately turned back to hide in Marco's chest.

Even though he went into hiding, Marco ruffled the boy's hair and gave a praise for saying hello back. He knew the merman was scared in the presence of so many, so all efforts counted.

To eat Marco sat down at the end of the bench, this way he could position Ace so he was sitting sideways in his lap, and his tail could lay down on the bench beside him without it bothering others or risking anyone leaning or sitting on it. -We should figure out a way for Ace to sit on his own too.-

The sight was adorable to say the least, a cute merman in Marco's lap, a hand appearing every now and then to snatch some food before it disappeared, hiding between the merman's body and Marco's chest. Yes, Ace was still trying to hide away while eating, but thanks to some happy-clicks and a tail swishing up and down, patting the bench, it was very clear that he liked the food. And of course the chef noticed this.

"Yooo Ace, glad you like the food! I made it with you in mind since I knew you were coming." Said a voice behind them. Turning around it was Thatch walking towards them, with what seemed to be some kind of dessert for their table and his own lunch.

"Finally able to do your silly hairstyle again?"

"It's not silly" was instantly remarked, "your pineapple is silly, mine is called style Marco, the ladies love it."

"Hmmm, whatever you say Thatch."

"Ah!" Ace suddenly yelled out, making the other look at him. He was now sitting up straight in Marco's lap and extending his hands towards... Thatch!?

Getting a huge smile on his Thatch asked with excitement if Ace wanted him to hold him.

He got a very enthusiastic nod from the merman in return and Thatch proceeded to put his plates down and stepped forward to pick him up. With Marco's help Thatch was easily able to scoop the merman up and hoist him higher to have a good grip. The moment he was in his arms, the chef looked like the proudest man on the seas.