Spook Four: Neru-Senpai

Kou Minamoto watched his grandma, who was deep in thought.

"Um... Grandma?" Kou began.

"Oh, sorry, dear. I just got caught up thinking about the past."

"It's okay, Grandma. Is there anything else you can tell us?"

"Oh, deary me! I think your aunt is calling me. I'll catch you guys later." And with that, Ren Minamoto had runoff. Kou frowned; his grandma was behaving oddly. She had never once said 'deary' before that he could recall, and she usually didn't have to think for so long. Was there something she wasn't telling them? Perhaps she didn't trust Yashiro. That had to be it! She was just trying to protect her as being an exorcist meant you were exposed to unthinkable terrors, and only the bravest warriors could handle such tales.

"We didn't really learn any more about Hanako-Kun. It seems like he behaved pretty much the same back then as he does now." Yashiro sighed.

"Hmm... well, we did at least learn that his rumour has changed from the start. That has to count for something!" Kou declared, trying his best to cheer up Yashiro. Yashiro considered it for a moment.

"You're right! It might be small, but it's one step closer to figuring out the truth!" she thrust her fist into her palm, "okay, let's go!"

"Go where?!"

"To get more doughnuts, of course!"

...

The festivities died down, and thus began the "fun" part- the clean-up. Kou didn't mind doing chores, but the clean-up after the festival was always tedious, and streamers and confetti were always impossible to grab. Also, as the youngest brother, many of the worst jobs fell onto him. Teru always managed to have something urgent to do when cleaning came around.

"Hey, grandma!" Kou called out, getting off all fours and dropping the dustpan on the spot.

"Yes?"

"Well, I was just wondering if you had thought about anything else that you could tell me."

"You seem awfully worried about this whole thing. Don't tell me Teru's too hard on you!"

"No, no, no, no! That's not it at all! I just... well... I don't really know he's all that bad. I mean, I know that he's a spirit and that he killed someone-"

"Kou." Ren began forcefully, so much so that Kou faced her in surprise. Her aquamarine eyes were stern and left no room for question, "Hanako-San is evil. There are no two ways about it. If you allow him to manipulate you and think he is something he is not, you will only hurt yourself."

"Right..." Kou replied. Ren ruffled his hair.

"I know it's hard. Facing an apparition is harder than other supernaturals; as you know, they were once human, and they often still act like it. But don't forget which apparition is in question. Hanako's worst crimes were not even those he committed in life. Remember that."

And with those cryptic words, Ren turned away, leaving Kou even more confused. He had hoped for answers from the festival, but he had only thickened the mystery.

...

Yashiro's eyes drooped as the monotony of school dragged on and on. She hadn't slept all night and felt sluggish from all the doughnuts. She had also perhaps had a couple too many rice cakes, and mixing all those desserts with several bowls of ramen had probably not been the wisest decision.

Ugh... I think I put on ten kilos in one night. Yashiro thought glumly as her head fell onto the desk.

"Hey, Nene-Chan? Nene!" Yashiro jolted awake as her best friend pushed on her shoulder.