Spook One: The Veteran Exorcist

"Millenia ago, humanity trembled whenever the sun set. The land would be cloaked in darkness, and one's very soul became prime for the taking. The youkai ruled the earth, and mankind cowered before them.

Tired of watching his brethren fall to their knees in cowardice before the towering apparitions, one brave warrior took up the noble cause of protecting us all. Minamoto no Yorimitsu locked eyes with the evil and dispelled it far across the earth. Whilst he did not rout the spirits, he saved the world for inevitable destruction and entrusted his descendants with the duty of protecting the future from all apparitions." Finished Ren Minamoto, or as Kou knew her, Grandma.

Kou had heard the tale year after year but still listened with childlike wonder at his grandma's words. He clenched tightly around his 'umbrella' (in truth, it was his raiteijou hidden under a black cover). His gran would have killed him had she have known that it had been sealed by a spirit and the infamous Hanako-San no less.

This year's festival had a different atmosphere for Kou. In the past, he mindlessly idolised his ancestors and listened to the stories with detached wonder. But recently, he had come face to face with the Seventh Wonder himself, and he no longer had the assurance that apparitions were simply the incarnation of evil.

Kou busied himself with his chocolate taiyaki whilst Yashiro, who had come along with him, listened intently to his gran's story. He smiled at her without her noticing. She was focused on the tale of the youkai. She probably was hoping to learn more about Hanako, but Kou knew grandma wasn't going to discuss current spirits in front of the children. They would be informed to be cautious but didn't need to be terrified- except by the masks. Those masks sent serpents of sweat down his spine every year.

His gran's tale ended, and the children almost instantly dispersed to engage in other fun activities and play youkai and samurai. It was scary how Kou would have been one of them a few years ago, but he didn't have time to reminisce on life.

"It's kind of weird being at a festival so quickly. We were only recently at a festival with Hanako-Kun in the boundary, and now we are at one with your family. It's kind of sad he couldn't make it." Yashiro added.

"Even if he could leave the school, he wouldn't be safe here. My family would go nuts if a spirit so much as looked at this place."

"I know... It's just, I know he would have enjoyed Tanaka-San's doughnuts." Yashiro motioned towards the mini doughnuts in the paper container she held. They were fresh out of the oven and provided the body with ample warmth.

"Yeah, he would like them. I'd recommend buying him some, but I already spent all my allowance, and I doubt you'd be willing to give any up. Seriously, you've eaten five in less than a minute!"

"Hey! I need to stock up now because once boys start noticing me, I won't be able to eat food like this. I need to take advantage of the fleeting single life whilst I still can." Yashiro finished romantically. She had a habit of disguising her dating insecurities in romanticised nonsense that had little resemblance to reality.

"We should try and catch Grandma and ask her about Hanako before she gets swamped. She's pretty busy at these festivals."

Yashiro nodded. The two approached Kou's grandma. Ren Minamoto was tall for an older woman with sharp aquamarine eyes. Her previously golden yellow hair sat in a neat high bun and wore rows of prayers beads on her wrists. She still wore a sheath even though her sword had been passed down to Kou's elder brother Teru.

"Grandma!" called out Kou. Ren waved to her grandson and put out her cigarette (she had given up on lung health many years ago, and no one could convince her to quit).