Spook Three: The Forgotten Wonder Part Two

Ren screamed and lunged backwards. Hanako giggled, "it looks like someone isn't so tough after all. Shouldn't an exorcist be able to handle a little jump scare here and there?"

The hand let go, and Ren turned around. Before her was a taller girl with an asymmetrical bob cut with a face like a porcelain doll. Her eyes were green, and her eyelids drooped, making her look quite indifferent to the situation. The only hint of annoyance was that her lips were slightly pursed and very thin.

"Number Seven, what an unexpected visit. I don't recall inviting you." The apparition twirled her hair between her fingers and cocked her head slightly.

"Do co-workers need to have invites to want to spend time together?" Hanako replied, "can't I just want to spend valuable time with a fellow Wonder?"

"Perhaps. If the Wonder in question hadn't already made herself clear that she didn't want to see you again, then yes, your story would be plausible. However, I think I made it clear that after you told me to lend you your power for vulgar purposes that I warned you to never set a foot near me again, then I believe an invite would be necessary." She looked over at Ren and frowned ever so slightly.

"Why did you bring a human with you? You better have a good explanation for being here. You have a minute to explain yourself before I get angry."

Hanako gulped. He hadn't seen the Eighth angry, she had undoubtedly been annoyed before by him, and that was scary enough! He shuddered at the thought of angering the most powerful supernatural on campus. He knew he was second, but the gap between them was dangerously wide, and he needed to avoid being destroyed to allow him to atone for his sins.

"Wait, wait, wait! We have a reason! Believe me, we are here for a reason!"

"Well... Get on with it."

"Have you been messing with our memories?"

"Must you ask?" Eighth responded as if this question were utterly absurd, "Of course I have. That is my job."

"YOU WHAT?! SINCE WHEN COULD SUPERNATURALS MESS WITH MEMORIES?! HANAKO, WHAT IS SHE TALKING ABOUT?" Ren was panting and looking desperately for reassurance. Surely, she had misheard!

"Who are you?" the Eight asked Ren.

"I'm Ren Minamoto, a descendant of the Minamoto clan and an exorcist! So you better tell me what's going on right now; otherwise, prepare for your demise!"

The Eighth looked mildly confused but mostly sympathetic for the baffling creature before her.

"Seventh, why did you bring this student before me? It's bad enough you brought a human, but such a silly and loud child. Do you really hate me that much?"

"I don't even know who she is, to be honest. She thinks she's been trying to exorcise me for a few days, but I don't remember ever speaking to her before, and I don't get a lot of human interaction, so I think I'd remember if I had. Which- "

"Which brings you back your question. I see. I have adjusted both of your memories, yes."

"What?!" both Hanako and Ren exclaimed.

"Tampering with other Wonders' memories is strictly forbidden!" Hanako exclaimed, "that's an abuse of power! How could you- why would you- You put the rule in place yourself!"

"You didn't seem to mind when I helped you out a few months ago." Eighth retorted. Hanako's face went white, and his hands went shakey. His eyes dropped to the floor.

"T-that was d-d-different!" he pleaded, "t-this wasn't called for!"

"Quite the contrary. My role is to ensure, first and foremost, the security of the supernaturals and ensure that we are not entirely forgotten, nor that the mysteries surrounding us are lost. Your interactions with this student posed a threat to our existence. You told her too much, so I made her forget. Then she continued to question and became even more bothersome, so I erased your memories, and here you are."