Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"My business." He answered.

"Why?" Crispin asked.

"Family is hard, there are personalities that belong to individual people and roles everyone must play but in a family, how they play them is up to each of them. In business, you play the role the way it is meant to be played because your career, money, and family are all at stake."

"Good answer but St. Victoria's is all about family, as you can see." Christopher pointed out that all of us interviewing him are considered family. "If you cannot work out things with your family how will things work out here as you will be working with your daughter? We'll also be expecting some events where your family will be expected to attend."

My father's hands were in fists. "I plan to fix things between my family whether you sign with me or not. I understand I haven't been there and when things happen I've been lied to. All of that will change." Then my father's eyes came directly to me. "I also expect my daughter will come home, where she belongs."

"No thank you." I replied, meeting his gaze.

Chris stood and reached his hand out to my father. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Johnson. We'll be in touch."

My father left, giving me another glance before he walked out the door. "Baby, how are you feeling?"

I smiled, "Good, but no where near ready to make a decision. Two strikes against Copepli and Margret and Helen aren't acting like they are taking this seriously."

"That's because they don't. On a personal level, I want you to reject them and we'll find someone else but from a business aspect, recent business aside, Copepli is almost perfect." Christopher joined in.

"What do you think Crispin?" I asked, we we're leaving to eat dinner at St. Victoria's.

"I don't know. They hurt you and that's bad but if they're good for the company do we have to put that they hurt you aside?"

My Crispin, wise beyond his years. "I understand because that's how I'm feeling too.Your thoughts, Chris?"

He shook his head. "I'm still processing everything, I'll have an answer by the time we get home."

Helen

"How did it go, honey?" I asked Charles as he walked through the door.

"Why didn't you tell me you didn't show up for your interview, you nor Margret?" He looked at me, fire burning in his eyes.

"Well, we were making a statement. I'm not going to let that little bastard think she has any power over me!"

"She's not a bastard, she's my daughter and right now, she does have all the power! Without her voting in our favor, all the nice things go bye bye!"

"Whatever." I responded. "Meredith! Bring me a martini!" I shouted.

Charles dropped everything in his hand and walked over to the couch where I was resting. He got in my face and whispered in a deadly tone, "We are going to lose everything and be out on our asses if you don't get it together. You call Raylynn and beg forgiveness or I swear I will leave you so fast, your head will spin." Charles, having said what he wanted to say, pulled back and walked away, leaving to go to his study.

"Here's your drink." Meredith said, a smile on her face.

"Wipe away that grin and go find something to clean." I scolded.

"Mom, is what daddy said true?" Margret asked, coming from the kitchen.

I gave her a gentle smile. "How are things going on your end? Have you caught a big fish?"

"Mom, this takes time, I'm not gonna just hop into bed with just anyone."

I walked up to Margret and played with her hair. "We'll maybe you should. Having rich man's baby is the easiest way to gain millions. Possibly even a marriage. Think about, sweetheart, cause if you don't come through, we'll be out on the street." I dismissed her. "Meredith, my martini!"

~One Month Later (October 31st)~

Raylynn

Everything was beautifully set. I personally would rather be at home watching horror movies with Chris instead of at a costume ball but there will be time for that later. I got in my car and drove back to the house, my house, and prepared for the ball. I went o my closet to search for the Hermione costume I'd purchased a week before. I was going to be a black Hermione and Chris was dressing as Harry from the Harry Potter series. When I couldn't find it I called Chris.

"Baby, it's tradition that the family dresses as royalty for the ball. Grandma got you a costume, I think it's in the guest room."

"What are you dressing up as?" I asked, I still wanted to match him for the ball.

"Don't worry, Grandma tells me our costumes go together, she brought me mine this morning so I'm changing her at the office and I'll meet you there before the party starts."

"Alright, love you." I said.

"Love you, too." He replied before clicking off.