Are you ready?

Yes. Will it be the water or the trees this time, Lor?

I will let you pick this time, I feel our... bond is growing. It is your decision.

Water. I choose the water.

Good. We should rest for longer this time. It will give the merging time.

How much longer? I still need to see my Meena, I wish to see her grow, Lor.

You will, Freya. But we must complete this process, otherwise...

I know. Otherwise, we will cease to be. I have asked and been told enough times now. But...

We will rest for five summers and no longer. That will give us the time we need.

Five... That is a long time, Lor. Are you—

It must be. You will see her again, it will not seem as long, that I promise.

Very well. I am ready.

Good. Remember, Freya. This will be uncomfortable but not painful.

I remember, let it be done.

Mmm, very well. Let me take control and I will send us into our slumber.

With a moment's hesitation, Freya releases her built-up tension letting Lor in completely. Her fingers tingle then her toes as they change and morph into whisper tendrils of smoke. She feels more than sees her body drifting as it evaporates into thousands of tiny specks that sparkle in the afternoon suns. It dissipates for a moment as if floating away then all is pulled together and softly melds with the running river entering them both into a waking slumber, still hearing the distant calls of the birds and feeling the pull of rushing water.

The chirp from a lone bird fills the morning dusk as a thick mist covers the ground of Wryamt Forest. With a minute spark, an ethereal glow begins to emanate from an ancient oak tree, a glow that fills the surrounding area with pure white light. It brightens further, blocking out everything before it dissipates, letting in flickers of the last blue rays that illuminate the dew-covered leaves turning them to diamonds temporarily.

The joined souls of Freya and Lor emerge from within, their form wispy smoke, a single entity that could spread as quickly or slowly as it pleased. Yet once clear of the ancient oak the smoke pauses for a single moment before swirling about itself, isolated. It turns and twists picking up speed. A crackle like thunder breaks the silence, a flash then all is silent once again as a naked woman steps from the vapour. Her skin shimmers and her long, dark hair falls to her hips. She strides forwards with a skip, then a giggle rings throughout the clearing sending tiny feet scuttling through the undergrowth.

"There is nothing to fear little ones, that I promise."

She turns, her arms outstretched reaching for the sky. She inhales deeply, breathing in the rich scents of crushed grass and the earthy aroma of wet soil.

"Oh, it is good to be out, is it not?"

It is.

"Come now, do not be like that. We agreed that it would be my form this time."

It is an odd thing, from my teachings I was never made aware of this. We are joined but separate at the same time. We are still one body but two minds. I thought by now that we would be in unison.

"But we are, Lor. We agree on everything, from the colour of the sky to the sound of the wind."

Yes, I know this but—